• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS: Dicrossus maculatus

Becca

Members
I have 2 adult males available, $25 each.

I may have females available at a later date- I do have some fry I'm growing out.

I have not been able to upload photos of these two to the CCA site, but they are gorgeous fish. Two males will live peacefully in a tank that is 30" long or longer. These are a tough-to-find dwarf cichlid that is native to Brazil. Each male is between 3 and 4 inches, full color and fins, without any physical defects. Both are proven fertile and readily accept all types of food.

These fish are adaptable to various water conditions, but prefer soft, acidic water. They are peaceful and do well in a community tank with small schooling fish, dwarf gouramis, etc. I have kept them in hard water with a pH in the high 7's before, but spawns are only successful in soft, very acidic water (pH in tanks with my breeding groups is between 2 and 4).

Un-sexed juveniles of this fish usually sell for between $20 and $30 a piece, so this is a pretty good deal if you're not interested in breeding them.

I've got a few more males than I know what to do with and, rather than tucking them away in the shadows, I thought I'd make a couple of them available.

PM me if interested, please. I can deliver to the January meeting or you can pick-up in Damascus, MD.

Becca

Members
Bump.

I've tried to attach some photos. I couldn't upload them to my album, but it seems like it let me attach them as files.

1504338_10100551990129303_792582100_o.jpg

Male Dicrossus maculatus.jpg

D.maculatus F(l)M(r).jpg

Doc Hall

You wouldn't happen to have anymore would you? Two of my 6 died recently and I'd like more.

Also, how are you getting the pH so low?
I'm using pH down but not sure I like the idea of using sulpheric acid lol

Becca

Members
You wouldn't happen to have anymore would you? Two of my 6 died recently and I'd like more.

Also, how are you getting the pH so low?
I'm using pH down but not sure I like the idea of using sulpheric acid lol

If you look at my recent FS posts, I have a trio available (MFF) for $100. I am not using any chemicals at all. I'm using rain water, oak leaves,and other botanicals (mostly obtained from Tannin Aquatics). I haven't tested pH in a while, so it may not be quite that low these days. They also don't get huge water changes all that often. I stick to smaller changes every month, given that others have observed that they spawn more often in very aged water.

The thing about chemicals is that they don't stick. They also don't necessarily make the water any softer. I've found a cheapo electronic TDS tester comes in handy for making sure the water is in the "soft" range so that the addition of botanicals will actually change the pH.

Doc Hall

If you look at my recent FS posts, I have a trio available (MFF) for $100. I am not using any chemicals at all. I'm using rain water, oak leaves,and other botanicals (mostly obtained from Tannin Aquatics). I haven't tested pH in a while, so it may not be quite that low these days. They also don't get huge water changes all that often. I stick to smaller changes every month, given that others have observed that they spawn more often in very aged water.

The thing about chemicals is that they don't stick. They also don't necessarily make the water any softer. I've found a cheapo electronic TDS tester comes in handy for making sure the water is in the "soft" range so that the addition of botanicals will actually change the pH.

Id like to buy them. (im not sure of the correct forum or way to post a reply, I am new to the site lol).

I live in Alexandria VA, and from your profile, it says you are in Damascus, that only about an hour away.

Becca

Members
Id like to buy them. (im not sure of the correct forum or way to post a reply, I am new to the site lol).

I live in Alexandria VA, and from your profile, it says you are in Damascus, that only about an hour away.

That's an OK way to buy them, yes. Only catch is that you may have to help catch them! They are in a 33 long. I'm available on weekends and I work from home on Fridays. You can PM me to set up a time and day.

Becca

Members

Let me know if you're still interested.