• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

June 29 at Bump 'n Grind in downtown Silver Spring

mchambers

Former CCA member
Having nothing to do with fish, for those of you that live or work in or near Silver Spring, on Thursday, June 29, my favorite local musician, Mary Battiata, will be performing with her band, Little Pink, at Bump 'n Grind, which is on East-West Highway near Colesville Road. Show is at 7:30, which means it won't be a late night out.

Mary is a singer-songwriter, with a bit of country music thrown in. If you like Lucinda Williams or Emmylou Harris, you'll like Mary. (Not saying she's that good, because nobody needs that burden, but she's very, very good.) She's coming out with a new CD, which should be available online before the show. You can listen (or download) three of her new songs at the link below, and also hear some of her earlier songs.

http://www.littlepinktheband.com/listenbuy.htm

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
But mchambers mchambers that's a school night! :)

Good music.

Are you also a fan of Lucinda Williams?

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
But mchambers mchambers that's a school night! :)

Good music.

Are you also a fan of Lucinda Williams?

Matt
Lucinda? Absolutely. I convinced several friends to go see her at the Birchmere in 1998, a few months before Car Wheels on a Gravel Road came out, so few knew of her. One of my friends, after the show, said I had an ear for musical talent (I'm not sure that's true, but I'll take the compliment).

I feel the same way about Mary's music. If you look at her page, you'll see that some reviewers have made the Lucinda comparison (as well as Emmylou Harris and Linda Thompson). I sent her new CD to that same friend, who wrote back that I still had the ear. He's even buying her earlier CDs.

It's a school night, but the club closes at 9 pm, so you'll be in bed by 10 pm, if you want. Of course, the songs will be running through your head, but that's a good thing. And you'll have bought the CD directly from Mary after the show, and want to listen to it. (Let me know if you need a lesson on how to play a CD -- I had to figure it out for the first time in several years!)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Car Wheels was my discovery of Lucinda Williams. It's a mind-blowing album. I want to say that I saw her at the Neil Young Bridge School benefit in Cali in the late '90s/early 2000's... and definitely seen Emylou Harris there (whether the same year or another) as well!

Matt

Lucinda? Absolutely. I convinced several friends to go see her at the Birchmere in 1998, a few months before Car Wheels on a Gravel Road came out, so few knew of her. One of my friends, after the show, said I had an ear for musical talent (I'm not sure that's true, but I'll take the compliment).

I feel the same way about Mary's music. If you look at her page, you'll see that some reviewers have made the Lucinda comparison (as well as Emmylou Harris and Linda Thompson). I sent her new CD to that same friend, who wrote back that I still had the ear. He's even buying her earlier CDs.

It's a school night, but the club closes at 9 pm, so you'll be in bed by 10 pm, if you want. Of course, the songs will be running through your head, but that's a good thing. And you'll have bought the CD directly from Mary after the show, and want to listen to it. (Let me know if you need a lesson on how to play a CD -- I had to figure it out for the first time in several years!)

mchambers

Former CCA member
There's no cover, but you can buy beer and food. (I don't know if they serve wine, but for country music, you really need a beer.) Donations for the artists are requested, and I'm sure she will be selling her CD for $15. (I bought four last week, and shipped three off to friends who I thought would like the music.)

http://bumpngrind.co/#music

dogofwar

CCA Members
I might just need to check it out. Country music is a hard sell for Patricia, so probably flying solo. Looks like it would be OK to bring Siena...

zendog

Sounds like a good time Matt. Do you know if it is just her and a guitar or the full band... either way I'm sure is nice, but I'm just curious.

mchambers

Former CCA member
It's definitely more than just her and her guitar. She told me last week that her guitarist (Tim Pruitt) from the CD will be there, and I'm sure she'll have an acoustic bass. I don't know if she'll have a drummer or violin (or should I write "fiddle"?).

I should know more next week, as we get closer. She usually posts the details of her shows on Facebook, so when she does I'll report back.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Sounds like a good time Matt. Do you know if it is just her and a guitar or the full band... either way I'm sure is nice, but I'm just curious.

Last bump for Mary Battiata at Bump 'n Grind!

Walter, she says the show will be all acoustic, with Tim Pruitt (who plays guitar on the new CD) and "special guests". I'm guessing the hosts of this series at Bump 'n Grind, Billy Coulter and Bill Williams, may join Mary and Tim on stage. I know Williams plays some mandolin, for example. When I saw her at the Dew Drop Inn, an old dobro player showed up and played on a couple of songs. So I expect most songs will have two guitars, and perhaps mandolin, violin, or dobro.

Should be some beautiful music. And, yes, for you fishkeepers, beer!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Is the "special guest" Matt Chambers on the dobro?

Last bump for Mary Battiata at Bump 'n Grind!

Walter, she says the show will be all acoustic, with Tim Pruitt (who plays guitar on the new CD) and "special guests". I'm guessing the hosts of this series at Bump 'n Grind, Billy Coulter and Bill Williams, may join Mary and Tim on stage. I know Williams plays some mandolin, for example. When I saw her at the Dew Drop Inn, an old dobro player showed up and played on a couple of songs. So I expect most songs will have two guitars, and perhaps mandolin, violin, or dobro.

Should be some beautiful music. And, yes, for you fishkeepers, beer!

zendog

I actually had you pegged for a fiddler.

Unfortunately I'm on a deadline and will be working tonight. It sounds like a great event and I wish I could make it.