• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tadpoles

captmicha

Members
I saved some tadpoles from my swimming pool. Now I got curious what want to see what kind of frogs they'll become.

Can I put them into my fry tank? It has a cherry shrimp and what might be a baby mosquito fish.

Btw, whom ever was selling the Guianacra stergiosi in last month's auction, did you have mosquito fish fry in the same tank?

chriscoli

Administrator
I've accidentally raised tadpoles indoors. I brought some green water in to feed to some fry and apparently brought in some frog eggs too. They hatched in the breeder box and grew up eating whatever they could find. I was planning on taking them back outdoors once they started looking more frog-like. lost track of them and by the time I remembered to check on them, they were gone from the breeder box. Sadly, I suspect they became a crispy critter under a tank rack at this point. :(

mchambers

Former CCA member
I saved some tadpoles from my swimming pool. Now I got curious what want to see what kind of frogs they'll become.

Can I put them into my fry tank? It has a cherry shrimp and what might be a baby mosquito fish.

Btw, whom ever was selling the Guianacra stergiosi in last month's auction, did you have mosquito fish fry in the same tank?
I sold some Guianacara. It's possible there was an Ameca splendens fry in the tank. Did you get a bonus fish?

abcdefghi

Members
No real help to you, but we rescued I have no clue how many tadpoles from a puddle that was drying up on our driveway. I had seen the puddle shrinking and noticed a bunch of tadpoles running out of places to swim. Cue a couple hours of frantically trying to save them, not easy scooping tadpoles out of a half inch deep puddle with mud in the bottom.

They have spent the last couple months in a giant plastic tub outside the garage, just now getting the front legs and I suspect will be soon departing the tub.

The mistake I made was putting the tub near the garage door, mosquitoes!! Thankfully my fish have been loving the supply of live food, even if it is only temporary.

captmicha

Members
I sold some Guianacara. It's possible there was an Ameca splendens fry in the tank. Did you get a bonus fish?
That would be way better than another mosquito fish! I got what looks like a live-bearer fry. At this point, it still looks remarkably like a mosquito fish fry. Or thereabouts.

captmicha

Members
No real help to you, but we rescued I have no clue how many tadpoles from a puddle that was drying up on our driveway. I had seen the puddle shrinking and noticed a bunch of tadpoles running out of places to swim. Cue a couple hours of frantically trying to save them, not easy scooping tadpoles out of a half inch deep puddle with mud in the bottom.

They have spent the last couple months in a giant plastic tub outside the garage, just now getting the front legs and I suspect will be soon departing the tub.

The mistake I made was putting the tub near the garage door, mosquitoes!! Thankfully my fish have been loving the supply of live food, even if it is only temporary.
I was thinking of putting my mosquito fish in the tub with them, but it's only like a gallon and a half. And not filtered. I know they can handle it, but I'd rather not stress them with bad water quality.

My pool has plenty of larvae, though.

That's weird about only a puddle. Must have been a particularly stupid frog/toad.

There's a vernal pool near my house that they like to lay eggs in. That at least stands a chance!

abcdefghi

Members
That's weird about only a puddle. Must have been a particularly stupid frog/toad.

Well, while it is a puddle it takes quite some time for it to evaporate once full, as in a good week of no rain before it disappears (I need to put a new load of gravel on the drive!!)

I am also fairly certain that these are Hyla Versicolor (Gray Treefrogs) which according to the VA Herpetological Society:

"The female lays clumps of 10 to 40 eggs per group on the surface of shallow ditches, puddles, and ponds"

http://www.virginiaherpetologicalso...frogsandtoads/gray-treefrog/gray_treefrog.php

Reminds me though I need to go drain some the water from their tub and put in ramp or two so they can make their way out.

captmicha

Members
Mine are the same species. Some tadpoles look a little different, I'm hoping for a different species this year.

They're not a very bright species. When I approach my pool when they're there at night, they just sit there. Ready to be easily picked off if I was a predator.

The babies also drown easily because they're not very good at figuring out ramps. Even when the ramps are as *simple* as possible.

I used to collect some from the vernal pool in case it gets washed away, because of the environmental pressures on amphibians. I figure that more babies surviving with my help will help numbers a little bit.

I hear other species of toads and frogs at night, like Fowler toads which I real want to find but never do.

abcdefghi

Members
Agreed on them not being very bright, they really just sit there, heads poking above the water and not moving. Good to know about the ramps, I will have to figure something out for them.

We get a bunch of other frogs and toads at night as well, that Herpetological Society link and the recordings of the calls really helps to identify what you can hear at night.

captmicha

Members
Find several in the pool filter yesterday. They were too stupid to figure out how to use the Critter Skimmer cover.

Whatever ramp you use, go as simple as possible. Lol.