• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

is it just me?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
i have this irresistable urge to buy fish whenever i see a good find, a beautiful specimen, or i just want it. :D i have come up with ways to get the fish in the house unnoticed for days unless the kids rat me out. the sad part is its not just fish it can be anything from tanks to filters to food. i cant help my self and i have become addicted to this hobby. are ther any others like me? i swear the fish have the jedi mind trick down pat when i get into the store they just look at me and i buy! :D

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
lol.
For a couple years I said something about a fish room. The wife kept saying there was no reason for it. One day she came home and I had a small corner of the basement cleaned out. Told her I was cleaning up or something. The next day she came home and I had studs up. LOL Too late.

Some years later I was opening the room after a short rest from the hobby and decided I liked the looks of P demasoni. Made the mistake of taking her to the fish store with me. "$16.95 each" Are you crazy." I bought 6 and heard many times that I was crazy. Over the next 5 or 6 years I sold about 2000 fry from that group.

Now days she does not even ask. She just shakes her head. She does go to the conventions just to make sure I dont go overboard.
Moral of the story is don't hide it. She will find out eventually. Just buy and show it to her. "Look honey, I got these for you" lol

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
i have this irresistable urge to buy fish whenever i see a good find, a beautiful specimen, or i just want it. :D i have come up with ways to get the fish in the house unnoticed for days unless the kids rat me out. the sad part is its not just fish it can be anything from tanks to filters to food. i cant help my self and i have become addicted to this hobby. are ther any others like me? i swear the fish have the jedi mind trick down pat when i get into the store they just look at me and i buy! :D

Yea, it's called Your Geeking! HA HA HA! Uncle Newton, I completely understand your dilema, if you ever have time go to some of my old threads on the subject. You'll find them very informative on sneaking things in the house without the wife finding out.

RM

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've been keeping fish for 25 years and I still get excited when I see a really cool fish.

They don't even need to be rare! I saw some really nice oscars at Tropical Fish World in G'burg the other day...and was tempted.

Because I belong to a fish club I can talk about it with other people who understand :)

Cartel

Members
Haha the other day my gf went to a LFS with me and boy was she surprised at how long it took me there.....

The worse times are when I want/need so many things that I cant make up my mind what I actually want to spend money on that I end up walking out of the store with out anything at all!

On a good note i did get her to want a fishy. Shes gunna start small with a betta lol.

F8LBITE

Members
Its hard for me to resist a good deal too. I got busted bringing in a 10G just the other day, I thought she was working late!

Cartel, what you know about SVT?

Cartel

Members
Cartel, what you know about SVT?

:cool: SVT?

Well I use to have an 03 dsg cobra but then had to do the whole college thing and my parents thought it would be a good idea to get something cheaper.....living in Texas they suggested a truck....so I bought a Lightning! haha. Unfortunately its not the hottest thing anymore since it got neglected during school. So it needs a lil tlc but still moves out. But my plans are to get into another slowbra eventually....

(Sorry for the derail! ill send this over to my noobie thread since I can talk cars all day... http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?p=24487#post24487)

Last edited:

cmcpart0422

Members
Haha the other day my gf went to a LFS with me and boy was she surprised at how long it took me there.....

The worse times are when I want/need so many things that I cant make up my mind what I actually want to spend money on that I end up walking out of the store with out anything at all!

On a good note i did get her to want a fishy. Shes gunna start small with a betta lol.

I know just what you mean there. I always think the the people that work in the fish store will think im weird cause im in there so often but rarely buy things. I just like going into the store and taking my time to look at every tank in the store. In order to make my girlfriend ok with my addiction I encouraged her to start a tank. She has her own 2.5g tank with 3 goldfish now, but she still gets upset with me when I buy new things.

mscichlid

Founder
cmcpart0422 tell your gf that she needs a much bigger tank for those 3 goldfish because her tank is way to small for them. That way you can get a bigger tank right off the bat!

I think all of us have the same problem. It's like an addiction, like a drug. I am always buying,selling, trading and I never get tired of doing it.

cmcpart0422

Members
cmcpart0422 tell your gf that she needs a much bigger tank for those 3 goldfish because her tank is way to small for them. That way you can get a bigger tank right off the bat!

Hahahah I have been getting on her for a while now. I keep telling her that if she doesn't get a ten gallon they aren't going to survive. My whole plan is to then get her to put some cichlids in the ten gallon then keep getting her to upgrade till we have a nice 75gallon. hahaha

Before you know it one of us is going to come home to an intervention with all of our family members.
"We need to talk to you about your fish addiction and how its affecting us all"

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
the sneaking it in is easy especially if its not alive, but if it is alive one of my 3 sons is gonna spill the beans no matter how hard i try.its always a " where did this fish come from?" or "daddy has a new fish!" bribery doesnt work cuz the little one always "forget" our agreement.:D
hmmmmmmmmmm maybe i should forget to feed him to get him to keep quiet. he is too little for a blanket party rotflmaooooooo! richard im open for suggestions. however if it has anything to do w/ wearing the suit like the chihuahua forget it lol! that picture had me cracking up last night!:D

Sonny Disposition

OK. I got it. Tell her you got a new fish, but you made up for it by getting rid of an old one. If she asks which one, just make something up. By now you must be getting so many fish that they're hard to keep track of.

I AGREE with sonny, but that is a problem if your wife makes a list of the fish you have and counts them every so often.

Disciple, you can never add a new fish without the kids spilling the beans. Back when when I bought my red devil, my 4 year daughter told mom that dad had a cool orange fish, and I did not hear the end of it. Maybe if you buy a fish that are similar in color they will blend in a little more and maybe the kids won't notice.:)

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Kinda funny I'm sitting here reading this after setting up 2 40 longs in the living room against the wifes wishes. As far as the kids ratting us out, I told my 10 yr old the new alto's would be here thurs but not to tell anyone and he did great!!! Didn't tell his brother or his sister... but he told mommy as soon as she got home!!!

I'm pretty sure I don't have a problem tho, nor am I in denial. I do get this twitch in my neck while I'm at work thinking about my fish, occasionally I break out into a sweat and get panic attacks hoping the fish are okay while I'm gone... but that's all normal isn't it? Then there was that one time i tried to list the kids for sale on ebay to buy a big tank, but that was just one irrational incident. Nah, no problem here.

I have to agree mikeygray, no problem with you. I just have a minor sleeping disorder thinking about how I am gonna get my 240 gallon tank, but I sleep like a baby knowing I have about pay about $1700.00 in bills apart from my house payment. Other than bringing home something new for my fish just about everyday, I don't think I have a problem.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Look, this is what I do:

Rule number 1.) Never lie...just exaggerate, a little. :)

Rule number 2.) Always make sure your new shipment of fish are mailed to your buddies house for pick up. Never your house.

Rule number 3.) Always make sure when ordering fish you pick up from the airport at a time when she is not home. That way you can sneak them in.

Rule number 4.) Important to have a large brown paper shopping bag from your nearest supermarket in your car or a work out bag in your trunk. They are perfect to conceal the new fish in and take immediately to your fish room.

I use a WholeFoods or Roots or a Giant brand with paper handles on it. Looks like you've been shopping or something and make sure you did buy something from the store.

Example, walk into the kitchen, remove the real grocery items and leave on the counter and then proceed to the fish room immediately, hide the stuff quickly and return to the kitchen.

Rule number 5.) When leaving the house with your styro always tell THEM that your going to sell some fish to make some Cash. Cash rings well for there beautiful little ears and you know we love their ears right.
Don't have a cow guys this is a Family forum so all this is toned down.;) Then when you come back with new fish you could either say you traded for fish or some did not sell so you had to bring them back.

Rule number 6.) Always leave the wife or girlfriend in the car when going into a LFS( Local Fish Store), especially when you know what you want.
Ask the owner of the LFS if he could be so kind to hold your fish for you until you can target a time to sneak in the fish. Only go in with them to window shop.

Rule number 7.) Do not try to get your girlfriend into our sport, she's not interested. Just spend some time with her when she's home. After dinner is the best time to do your water changes and feed your fishies.

Rule number 8.) Sneaking in tanks is impossible, trust me I have tried and even the best of us get caught. They will count your tanks if you begin to get obsessed and are spending too much money on the fish and not on you know who. The best thing to do is barter with them. If you're a Neanderthal then do whatever you want. Otherwise, communication is key.

Rule number 9.) Diamonds....Travel...Wine and Dine them. Express to them how important the sport is to you. How it relaxes you and how studies out of Harvard University have conducted research that looking at fish for several hours lowers cholesterol levels and enhances blood flow.:eek:;);)

Studies show 9 out of 10 ten people felt relief from stress and gave them a stimulating sensation to express their feelings and talk about things they've never talked about.

Otherwise, if she loves you, she'll put up with you.

Oh, I forgot one important detail, Dinner parties. That's right, have friends over that have girlfriends or wives and show off your tanks. She will begin to be proud showing off your tanks and now it will become her tanks as well.

Dinner parties are great! When your friends are over invite them to your fish room to see your masterpiece and Show Tanks. Trust me, that's been working for me and now my little lady takes her friends and family downstairs when I'm not around to show off OUR tanks.:D

GET IT!!!! Great....I'm glad.;)

Men...we must keep United :cool:and of course our lady fish keepers too, sorry I left you out.:p

Good Luck, I hope my secret excerpts from the SubMariner Chronicles have helped you all. Remember, if all fails then go buy yourself a fish.:)

Richard
The SubMariner, Super Under Water Hero!

P.S. If they accept your fish then She's a Keeper.