• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Peru 2013 - Kid's Donations

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey all,

As some of you may know, I am taking a trip down to Iquitos, Peru in a few weeks to go collecting fish. On the Margarita Tours trip we will be stopping at two villages on the river along the way. From what I have heard, the villages are quite remote and I imagine that they could use a bit of help.

I am planning on bringing down some items for the kids. Maria and I have come up with a couple of ideas so far.

Anyone have any other suggestions? With the balls deflated, I think I can fit all of this into my bag, along with my clothes and gear. I'll give things away (along with most of my clothes likely) and then have room for fish in breather bags on the way back.

Thinking of grabbing 2 packs of pencils, a box of 50 cars, pack of animals and a few soccer balls and pumps along with a sack or two of tennis balls.

I could go the candy or balloon route, but want to bring things that will help out these kids long term. I think these items will fit the bill. :)

Becca

Members
Gently used canvas shoes/athletic shoes?

My grandfather used to send items to his family in Poland, who are very poor - this included simple things like toothbrushes, toothpaste, and other basic hygiene/toiletry items.

Also, LaCrosse balls will hold up better than tennis balls.

Hannibal

Members
Soccer ball sizes:
3 - good for kids under 8 years old
4 - good for over 8 into the early teens (12-13)
5 - is used by everyone over 12 or 13.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Agree

Soccer ball sizes:
This is right. My guess is that in Peru the smaller balls are seen less often, so the kids are used to playing with the largest size.

Forester

Members
Just go to five below and get lots of soccer balls for really cheap. I did this when I went to Malawi. And just get fives.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
Do we have any T-shirts left from ACA?

You can never lose with coloring books, crayons, etc. Dora and Diego are enjoyed in both English and Spanish speaking places ;)

Matt

zackcrack00

Members
Are you going to be at the BBQ? If you want, I have a bunch of those colored and shaped rubber bands called silly bandz. They used to be a giant thing at my Elementary school. I have a whole bunch. Do ya want 'em?

Tony

Gently used canvas shoes/athletic shoes?

My grandfather used to send items to his family in Poland, who are very poor - this included simple things like toothbrushes, toothpaste, and other basic hygiene/toiletry items.

Also, LaCrosse balls will hold up better than tennis balls.

Not sure if I have room in my bag for multiple extra pairs of shoes, but the hygiene thing is a great idea. Going to talk to Devon at Margarita Tours to ask about that. Thanks!

Soccer ball sizes:

Cool. Thanks Chris. Think I'm going to grab 2 size 4 and 2 size 5. :)

This is right. My guess is that in Peru the smaller balls are seen less often, so the kids are used to playing with the largest size.

Maybe all size 5s... then. :confused: Yeah?

Just go to five below and get lots of soccer balls for really cheap. I did this when I went to Malawi. And just get fives.

Not going to do my Amazon order until tomorrow so I'll swing by there on the way home. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Do we have any T-shirts left from ACA?

You can never lose with coloring books, crayons, etc. Dora and Diego are enjoyed in both English and Spanish speaking places ;)

Matt

Dora. Check.

Are you going to be at the BBQ? If you want, I have a bunch of those colored and shaped rubber bands called silly bandz. They used to be a giant thing at my Elementary school. I have a whole bunch. Do ya want 'em?

That's really nice of you, Zack. I'll be there. :)

Hey Tony!

My hubby currently works for Amazon and I forwarded him your thread. I asked him if Amazon or his office might be interested in helping you with your outreach idea. I'll let you know if there is anything Amazon or his office can do for you.

Arlene

Tony

Hey Tony!

My hubby currently works for Amazon and I forwarded him your thread. I asked him if Amazon or his office might be interested in helping you with your outreach idea. I'll let you know if there is anything Amazon or his office can do for you.

Arlene

Wow! That's very cool. Thanks Arlene. :)

Tony

Picked up soccer balls last night.

Good call on Five Below, Lucas! Cheap and still pretty decent quality. :)

McGrubble

Members
I'd avoid the candy/balloon route. In my experiences before, there's never enough candy. It also leads to the biggest kid in the group getting the most while the smallest kids get little to none. Also, as good natured as it is to give something delicious to the children, by giving them candy you're worsening their oral hygiene. This doesn't mean much to those of us with easy access to dental care. But to someone who can't have a cavity filled, enjoying some good ole Bazooka Joe can create dire consequences for their mouths.

HOWEVER, bringing along Flintstones Vitamins or something that tastes good and is healthy for the children you kinda knock out two birds with one stone.

McGrubble

Members
PS: In terms of the balloons, the same instance often happens between the bigger and smaller children. The big kids bully the smaller kids out of them. Also, you run a risk of the smaller children chewing on the rubber and choking.

Just my anecdotal two cents. . .

Hope this helps.

Forester

Members
Occasionally some of the balls don't work but you can just go back and trade them for others.

Becca

Members
I'd avoid the candy/balloon route. In my experiences before, there's never enough candy. It also leads to the biggest kid in the group getting the most while the smallest kids get little to none. Also, as good natured as it is to give something delicious to the children, by giving them candy you're worsening their oral hygiene. This doesn't mean much to those of us with easy access to dental care. But to someone who can't have a cavity filled, enjoying some good ole Bazooka Joe can create dire consequences for their mouths.

HOWEVER, bringing along Flintstones Vitamins or something that tastes good and is healthy for the children you kinda knock out two birds with one stone.

Vitacraft makes gummy vitamins that are REALLY good - at least the prenatal and calcium ones are tasty.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Tribal people in general have fewer microbes than us and fewer types of illness. It is likely that their diets come closer to meeting their nutritional needs than most of ours do. I don't think vitamins would be an appropriate item to bring. They can be overdosed and the bottle will soon run out.
I am in favor of increasing the amount of anything that the villagers currently use, while limiting our cultural influences.
Tennis balls and soccer balls sound like great choices. Fishing line and hooks of different size/strength might also be a good choice. Also wind up or led flashlights might be useful.

dogofwar

CCA Members
So no "Real Housewives of Atlanta" DVD Box set? I got a spare one for my birthday... ;)

Matt

Tribal people in general have fewer microbes than us and fewer types of illness. It is likely that their diets come closer to meeting their nutritional needs than most of ours do. I don't think vitamins would be an appropriate item to bring. They can be overdosed and the bottle will soon run out.
I am in favor of increasing the amount of anything that the villagers currently use, while limiting our cultural influences.
Tennis balls and soccer balls sound like great choices. Fishing line and hooks of different size/strength might also be a good choice. Also wind up or led flashlights might be useful.