• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Best pleco?

verbal

CCA Members
It is hard to go wrong with a Bristlenose Pleco. If you get a group, I would go with a fancier variety, otherwise you may have more offspring than you can rehome.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Some of the fancy varieties don't eat much algae, or aren't sociable enough to spend time on the glass, so research each species if you go this route.

I think bristlenose are the best choice for practical function, they can adapt to a wide variety of water parameters, and can cohabitate with just about anything.

I have bristlenose in 20 gallon growout tanks with small fish, and in a 180 with large predators, and they are fine in each setup.

Clown plecos could be a another choice that doesn't get big and will eat algae. Otherwise a small school of otocinclus or flagfish can work for community type setups.

verbal

CCA Members
Some of the fancy varieties don't eat much algae, or aren't sociable enough to spend time on the glass, so research each species if you go this route.

Sorry I worded that poorly. I meant fancy version of the standard BN pleco species, like long finned, calico, albino, etc.

Shane

Members
Need a pleco that will stay a smaller size and keep my glass clean. Bushynose and rubbernose the best choices?

Please do not ever add a fish to an aquarium to solve a problem that can be controlled by the aquarium owner. It does not work.
If you want clean glass buy a simple aquarium safe scrubber. If you have serious algae problems we can discuss light and nutrient issues.
If you want a loricariid, or any other fish, research the species you want to keep and provide it with the proper habitat, maintenance regime, and diet it needs to thrive.
-Shane

I think what Shane is saying, is that besides eating algae, plecos also require additional nutritional inputs to stay healthy. While I agree with everyone else that the BN is the best choice, it should be provided algae wafers and sliced cucumber or zucchini in addition to algae to stay healthy.

Many aquarists do not know that and their plecos become doomed to a slow death by starvation. Many species do not eat algae at all.

Rubbermouth plecos (Chaetostoma sp.) do better in cooler, highly oxygenated water and may not be the best choice.

Andy

Shane

Members
This is called research no?

No. Research is a systematic investigation. You are simply asking others to answer your questions for you.

Regardless, I understand from researching your previous forum postings that you are keeping Lake Malawi cichlids. There are no appropriate loricariids for such a tank (provided you are keeping the cichlids at the proper pH, KH and conductivity). There are very, very few loricariid species that can live under the lower end of the Lake Malawi water chemistry spectrum (i.e. pH 7.7, KH 110, and conductivity of over 210 US/CM). One of these is Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus and would be your best bet. Just do not expect, as Andy pointed out above, that it will survive for long without specific care.
-Shane

Zeppelin2088

Members
Asking people with experience on the subject sounds like pretty good research to me. If I did no research I would have already purchased the fish. Also, I've read many people keep a variety of them with Malawi cichlids and have no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

monfrey29

Members
I agree with Zeppelin2088 I am no expert. I would like to know of I am doing something wrong so I'd turn to you guys for advice. Would you rather us do the wrong thing and put all or fish in danger or do it right from the beginning. I would ask for direction from the ones who know then to ask the workers at Petco or Petsmart. Just saying.

Sent from my YP-G70 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hawkman2000

Members
No. Research is a systematic investigation. You are simply asking others to answer your questions for you.-Shane

Wouldn't that make most research just getting answers from other people. Most research is either done on the internet or in the library. Other people wrote all the books and info on the net. Hear we just get it from people in a more direct manner. No answer can be found without a question, and no question can be raised without inspiration.

I guess it could be said that this person just came here for some inspiration.

BWT, my favorite plecos are Albino Bristle nose, Starlight Ancistrus, Peppermint Pleco, and Clown Pleco. Any of these would keep a tank pretty clean, relative to their size of course. I would also pick one that is similar in size to the other fish so they don't get picked on to much.

Also, I see plecos as a symbiotic relationship. I provide them with a friendly environment, and they keep that environment clean. The occasions that I actually see the dam things are an added bonus (holy ****, he's still alive).

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Being told answers to your questions is very different from obtaining your information through a well designed investigation. It also increases the likelihood that opinion will be mistaken for fact. Most of the quality advice that is given comes as a result of reading numerous sources including (but not limited to) the internet.

Sent from my DROIDX

monfrey29

Members
Info on the internet is not always the correct answer. What are some to do? Do we kill off fish by trial
and error or do we learn from the experts? What are forums like this for anyways? Just to talk about pic of the month, closing LFS, or making fun of what people sale on CL's? I don't understand! Either you answer or you don't.

I think the point trying to be made by Shane and Andrew is that there is a difference between peer reviewed publications by certified experts on the subject, and by questions answered on a public forum.

All that being said, the question was asked in a forum that is focused on the general subject, there are certified experts in the community, and in a way it can be peer reviewed. So I would say this fits the criteria of research.

There are however, hazards to this type of research. The answers provided may be incomplete and lack specific details that are relative to success. There is no guarantee that the responder is an expert and may be giving bad advice. There is no guarantee that an expert will recognize the bad advice and challenge it.

Asking the question on the forum is a good start to the research but it should be followed up with some more in depth research ideally.

In this case however, I think the question has been asked and answered.

Andy

monfrey29

Members
Exactly what
Andy said.
Everyone has to start somewhere, why not here. Well put Andy!