• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

De-Barking "driftwood"

JasonC

Members
So what are your favorite methods for removing bark from dried branches? Do you usually go all the way to bare wood, or do you leave some of the inner bark?

I have some oak branches that I tried to power wash the bark off of but that didnt work so well.. and whittling is getting tedious... any better ideas out there?

thanks!!

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I'm so unworldly...

...I don't even have a method. But if you're not in an awful rush I'd suggest putting it inside your old gas oven )or someplace more conveniently very arid) and letting it sit for a week or two. The heat from just the pilot light and the dry air should dessicate the bark much faster causing it to shrink and separate from the wood proper. Or you could just leave it on if it's for a New World tank - I understand that oak tannins are a good thing (along with hickory, maple, et al.).

Spine

Members
I agree with Sam try and dry it out. You might also look for a branch that's been submerged for a while,the bark may have already fallen off

JasonC

Members
Interesting idea with the gas light... unfortunately, I'm all electric. But this is for a new world tank.. Im interested in the idea of just leaving the bark on.. I was under the impression that this was a bad idea? mold and all. Has this worked well for you then?

...I don't even have a method. But if you're not in an awful rush I'd suggest putting it inside your old gas oven )or someplace more conveniently very arid) and letting it sit for a week or two. The heat from just the pilot light and the dry air should dessicate the bark much faster causing it to shrink and separate from the wood proper. Or you could just leave it on if it's for a New World tank - I understand that oak tannins are a good thing (along with hickory, maple, et al.).

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Never tried it but that wouldn't stop me...

...no reason I know why it would be a problem, my understanding is that the tannins and the subsequently lowered pH effectively tend to inhibit mold (as well as other potential 'pathogens'). I've certainly never seen any growing underwater unless one counts fungus on fish.

Occurs to me that by the time the wood gets waterlogged enough to sink by itself the bark will have become much more yielding so maybe you should just soak it. Yes, that must be it - go soak your oak.

:D

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think I would go with Sam's advice and soak your oak. I can always remember picking up sticks out of the woods and creeks near my house when I was a kid and the bark would always slide right off. If you are worried about doing that in a tank, get a big rubbermaid tub and soak it in your garage.

I've always been wary of making my own driftwood. I'm interested to see how it works out for you. Put up some pics of your progress if you can.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Take it from a country boy...

...the trees don't know that rule. By the way, 'rule of thumb' originates from old English Common Law that allowed a man to beat his wife provided that the switch he used was no bigger in diameter than that of his thumb. Ouch. Perhaps not the phrase of choice for feminists and such, that Tony told me you is/are. He's been wrong before though and may have just been positioning himself to usurp your title.

mscichlid

Founder
Rule of thumb allows said wife to beat the hell out of said husband with anything that fits her grip.

Last edited:

minifoot77

Members
...the trees don't know that rule. By the way, 'rule of thumb' originates from old English Common Law that allowed a man to beat his wife provided that the switch he used was no bigger in diameter than that of his thumb. Ouch. Perhaps not the phrase of choice for feminists and such, that Tony told me you is/are. He's been wrong before though and may have just been positioning himself to usurp your title.

perhaps it should have been rule of the wrist....

mchambers

Former CCA member
Maybe not

Wikipedia suggests alternative origins for the phrase, including this one:

Many claim that it comes from beer brewing before the invention of thermometers when brewers would use their thumbs to measure the temperature of batches of beer.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thumb

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
You guys crack me up...

Back on topic, I'd be all about creating/locally procuring some driftwood. Too dang expensive and the idea of paying to have it shipped is about as ludicrous to me as paying to have rocks shipped in the mail.

verbal

CCA Members
You guys crack me up...

Back on topic, I'd be all about creating/locally procuring some driftwood. Too dang expensive and the idea of paying to have it shipped is about as ludicrous to me as paying to have rocks shipped in the mail.

I did have that thought when picking up oak branches in my yard.

killakacti

Members
You guys crack me up...

I agree aquaria decor is way over priced, along with the shipping is just insult to injury.

I have never thought about using Oak branches that shed in my yard. I will definitely see my backyard in a diffrent perspective after work today. Great Idea!

msjinkzd

invert junkie
i use a power washer after letting it sit outside, baking in the sun, for some time.

I have also been known to use a die grinder, angle grinder, and dremel