• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Plant ID

Hannibal

Members
I know it will help more having a picture but wanted to get this up here before I got home later. I have a plant that is pretty much taking over the top of my 40 breeder. It started off as a little sprig of plant and now has taken over half of the top of my tank.

It is a green vine that has roots hanging down and what looks like little lily pads growing off it. I have tried to google it but it just keeps popping up lily pads or frogbit.

I will be sure to get a picture up here to help with the identification. I just wanted to know what it was before I tried to get rid of some. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thai

Members
Water sprite, grows fast, takes over tanks easy and will send off runners that will float and have root structure hanging.

My money is on that, it's also very common

Hannibal

Members
Nope, they look like little lily pads. Most of the lily pad pictures I have seen grow off of chutes from a plant in the substrate. Mine is just a vine that floats with roots that hang down. I will get a picture tonight when I get home.

chriscoli

Administrator
If it's a solid light green, Google for Nymphoides "Taiwan" and see if that looks like it.

Otherwise, if it's green or red mottled, Google for a red tiger lotus....mine will send off shoots that will have roots hanging down but don't have the bulb yet.

Hannibal

Members
If it's a solid light green, Google for Nymphoides "Taiwan" and see if that looks like it.

Otherwise, if it's green or red mottled, Google for a red tiger lotus....mine will send off shoots that will have roots hanging down but don't have the bulb yet.

I don't think its this one but I wish it was since it looks pretty cool.

If it looks like a vine and the leaves are scalloped along the edge, then it's probably Hydrocotyle sibthorpoides. If it is small, then it could be Hydrocotyle tripartita.

Arlene

Hannibal

Members
Oh man I completely forgot about this thread and the picture of it. I will see if I can't remember to get a pic up for those who might be interested in a little plant swapping.