• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking to get into Cichlids

ChillChewy

Members
Hello! Just started on this forum and wanted to ask for some advice. I have recently got into the hobby of keeping fish, I set up my tank (15g, I have sand substrate a hob filter and heater, basically all start up supplies) and have a common goldfish as well as an oranda, but when I started to get into the hobby would go to pet stores and see cichlids, and I think they look really cool. The common goldfish was from my brother, as he had it in a bowl and didn't want it, so he gave it to me when he heard I wanted fish. The oranda I got on sale for $3.
I would like some advice on whether it would be a good idea to get cichlids, they look really interesting and I would like to keep them, but I don't know whether that would be a good idea, and what I would need to do with the fish I have now, as they don't go well with cichlids from what I heard.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Welcome to the forum. Most everyone here will highly recommend cichlids, as the CCA is an aquarium club that focuses on keeping cichlids.

You are correct that mixing cichlids and gold fish isn't the best of ideas. With your current 15 gallon set up, there are several dwarf species that would be appropriate to keep, including many of the apistogramma species from South Americas and well as some of the shell dwelling species from the African rift lakes.

Pretty soon, you'll figure out that one tank just isn't enough and you'll start figuring out how to set up more and more!

Termato

Board of Directors
Hi there Chewy and welcome to the CCA Forum! :) There are some really knowledgeable people here so you've definitely joined the right place.

I wouldn't keep gold fish with cichlids mainly because gold fish are a cold water fish while the majority of cichlids prefer waters in the higher 70s to 80+ degress fahrenheit. Cichlids really need that warmer water otherwise they wont be healthy.

There are a lot of different cichlids out there. Different sizes, colors and temperaments that will fit with almost any community. One of the other important restrictions on keeping cichlids is also tank size. Would you be planning on getting a new tank or rehoming the gold fish to keep cichlids? The dwarf species, like Jon mentioned, is great for smaller tanks. All the other ones get quite large and require bigger tanks to keep.

As Jon said, Apistos are beautiful. I love that fish.
You could also look into some of the following:
Mikrogeophagus altispinosus (Bolivian Ram)
Pelvicachromis pulcher (Kribensis)

For cichlids, I'd avoid getting them from big box stores. You live in PA where you are close to multiple breeders!! Great opportunity to get beautiful fish.

Last edited:

Leffler817

CCA Members
Welcome to the forum. What Jon and Victor is pretty much spot on. Personally, I'd get rid of the goldfish and get cichlids. But be warned, once you start getting into cichlids, one tank is not enough.

Welcome to the forum. What Jon and Victor is pretty much spot on. Personally, I'd get rid of the goldfish and get cichlids. But be warned, once you start getting into cichlids, one tank is not enough.

+1 to one tank not being enouph.

Do yourself a favor and do extra ample amounts of reaserch before getting chichlids. One you get hooked you will want them all. It can be frustrating finding new homes if they get agressive or you want a different type.

I would recommend to start out with one type in particular. keep them long enouph for them to grow in size and get a feel for them. That way you can start to understand their behaviors. Last thing you want to do is over stock your tank with juvies and different breeds, then a few moths down the road have a packed tank with very agressive behavior. A pair is always good to start with. Or 1 male with more feemales.

Have fun learning about cichlids, feel free to ask questions, this group is an amazing resource.

- mason

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Welcome to the forum. I checked out different forums related to other hobbies, but this forum is pretty cool. There is zero tolerance for rudeness, so you don't have to worry about being "bullied." Finally, if you get into the hobby, buying fish from other members is a great idea. Why, members are really prideful with how they raise and keep fish. Good luck.