• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking for suggestions

Canisters have far greater volume of media than HOB filters, so this just doesn't happen as quickly. Also, a well-designed canister (e.g., Eheim Classic or Cobalt EXT) isn't likely to have much bypass of the media (I think that is what you mean by short-circuiting the media).

The capacity and efficiency of mechanical filtration is controlled by the flow through surface area. Once a thin surface layer of the media is clogged, the flow is restricted and the rest of the media volume does not provide more mechanical filtration, only biological. The media volume of a canister is much larger than any HOB, but media area is not that much larger. So if the canister flow does not slow down for many months, by pass is occurring.

dogofwar

CCA Members
The effectiveness of bio media is greatly reduced if it's caked with waste, as is the case where a canister filter is doing a lot of mechanical filtration and isn't frequently cleaned (and/or has a frequently cleaned mechanical pre-filter).

Peacocks, haps and most other Malawi cichlids are tough fish and will do just fine in just about anything but liquid feces. Believe me that there are no shortage of African cichlid tanks being pumped through closed canisters of waste that only receive a bi-annual rinse when they finally gum to a trickle.

My advice is to not overthink it: A couple of any decent HOB or canister filter(or better a sump) will more than handle your tank, especially if you're doing regular (weekly or so) large water changes. And clean your filters regularly.

Spend as little or as much as you'd like. Research to your heart's content. Argue about whether one shape of plastic thingy is superior to another. In the end, you could drop a couple of airstones in a sponge filter or three (or behind a piece of Poret foam)...add a box filter for mechanical filtration...and it will be all the same.

Matt

The capacity and efficiency of mechanical filtration is controlled by the flow through surface area. Once a thin surface layer of the media is clogged, the flow is restricted and the rest of the media volume does not provide more mechanical filtration, only biological. The media volume of a canister is much larger than any HOB, but media area is not that much larger. So if the canister flow does not slow down for many months, by pass is occurring.

mchambers

Former CCA member
That's simply not my experience over quite a few years with many canister filters. Much of the waste gets captured throughout the filter.

[Response to CichlidAddict]

Last edited:

Localzoo

Board of Directors
As mentioned before two canisters is best option. If you go that route

I have a125 and two canister filters one is set up with filter pads pre filter etc etc.
the other just has clay rings in it.
I have two air-stones at opposite ends. I alternate filter cleaning so that one always has BB

All the research in the world won't help. Doesn't matter what plastic thingy you buy...whatever

The important thing to take away is do what are you comfortable with, what kind of area you have...(space access etc.) will determine what works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Speaking from my experience, I have a 90 in the main family gathering area of my home. I would run two 2217. they are quiet and fairly easy to clean if you have quick disconnects. The cannister filter also allows you to place the aquarium closer to the wall. I never liked the look of multiple filters mounted on teh back of an aquarium that is placed in a area that many will see it. It doesn't look appealing to the eye and may draw attention away from the beauty of the aquarium.