• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Inline thermometer for Python-like water changers

IndianaSam

CCA Members
Has anyone here built one before? After my water changes were a bit chillier than I wanted yesterday, I started looking around and came across this video:

Tips and tricks from people who who have built them would be much appreciated.

chriscoli

Administrator
I use something similar and like having it as a sanity check. But I find I end up using my hand to estimate temperature more often, and it's usually not wrong. The thermometer is slow to react and water has to be flowing for it to react. By the time mine settles on a temperature, I've already been filling the tank for several minutes.

That being said, I like having it anyhow.

FishEggs

Or you can go all in and install something like this.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
Or you can go all in and install something like this.
Ack, it's $108! Ultimately, yes, I'll do that when I install a proper fish room.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I'm looking forward to a thermostatic mixing valve as part of a semi-automated system when I eventually build a higher tech fish room in the next house.

JLW

CCA Members
Cobalt tried making a little plastic one that just fitted into the Python -- I guess there wasn't demand enough for it.
It's a shame, especially with a built in alarm, it would be great for when the temperature suddenly changes. I've run out of hot water doing water changes, and if it happens on some of my tanks, my first clue is often that the tank is sweating.