• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help with my well water

Aqua410

Members
Hey everyone,

I made a post a few months back about getting some tanks going again and I finally have two new tanks ready to be set up. I’m struggling a little bit thinking about how to handle my well water in Carroll county.

KH is about 7 degrees and GH is about 125 up to maybe 148ppm. PH from the tap is about 7.0.

The house is running an acid neutralizer system with calcite crystals. If I bypass the system and pull straight well water, my hardness surprisingly isn’t much different but the PH drops to about 6.4.

I am considering a cheap RO buddy and just mix my water 50/50. Some others I have talked to think my water isn’t too bad and most American cichlids and tetras would be ok but I’m kind of skeptical. I want healthy fish and don’t want to lose excessive livestock due to water parameters.

Stocking list will be something like this:
Columbian tetras
Cardinal tetras
Corys
Apistos
Angles (not Altums but perhaps wild)
Likely standard cleanup crew of shrimp and ottos.

Thoughts on keeping these type of fish in my well water just straight off the well?

A basic RO system is pretty cheap and since I’m looking at 2-3 small to medium tanks my water volume through the RO is likely to be low. On the other hand, who wants to fool with all that if they don’t have to. Appreciate any advice or experience you might have with water parameters like these.