• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DIY canister with HD buckets?

captmicha

Members
I kept being told that these always fail sooner or later, even with the screw on lids, so I’ve never done one.

Then a few people told me to put the pump on the output, not the input, and that’ll reduce pressure and keep it from leaking.

Any thoughts?

I really, really don’t want a bunch of water on the floor. But ready made filter prices these days make multiple tank keeping expensive.

FishEggs

I've tried it with the pump on the return side and I couldn't get the lid to stop leaking.
It's risky enough with regular manufactured canister filters I wasn't gonna keep trying with 220 gallons at stake.

captmicha

Members
I've tried it with the pump on the return side and I couldn't get the lid to stop leaking.
It's risky enough with regular manufactured canister filters I wasn't gonna keep trying with 220 gallons at stake.
I’d really like to know how people are getting these to work!

I’m going to look for something with a clamp or a house water system filter canister.