• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Checkerboard Cichlids Dicrossus filamentosus

Chatito@3

CCA Members
Hello everyone,

I'm interested in getting some checkerboard cichlids, if someone or knows of anyone that sells them, please let me know.

Thank you

Becca

Members
I have some filamentosus eggs right now. I only do local pickup. I have a handful of maculatus who look like they're getting ready to spawn. A spawn is not a guarantee of fry, but if I have any to sell I will post.

Chatito@3

CCA Members
I'm in Southern California, I would be interested when you have some, but would you be able to ship if needed?

Thanks

Becca

Members
I'm in Southern California, I would be interested when you have some, but would you be able to ship if needed?

Thanks
I don't ship. I was in northern CA in February and gave a talk on them. Eric Thomas of Sacramento Aquarium Society may be able to help you track some down. Jeff Michels of aquaticclarity.com frequently has them and he can somewhat reliably sex them (more of an art form than a science).

Chatito@3

CCA Members
I don't ship. I was in northern CA in February and gave a talk on them. Eric Thomas of Sacramento Aquarium Society may be able to help you track some down. Jeff Michels of aquaticclarity.com frequently has them and he can somewhat reliably sex them (more of an art form than a science).
Thank you, I will check them.

bkfamus

CCA Members
Freshwater Exotics has D. filamentosus. They're listed as D. maculatus but mine grew up to be D. filamentosus:rolleyes: (no complaints, I like them both)

Chatito@3

CCA Members
Thanks for the info, but I ordered 6 of them yesterday from The Wet Spot, and I was the one that left them with 5. hahaha. I have known they had them, but I was trying to find them cheaper than 24.99 plus shipping. (31.65 a fish) I've gotten them before for 15 at my LFS in the past and seeing that no one else seems to have them due to the Colombia ban I decided to get some before they were gone.

Thanks again for your effort.

Last edited:

Becca

Members
Thanks for the info, but I ordered 6 of them yesterday from The Wet Spot, and I was the one that left them with 5. hahaha. I have known they had them, but I was trying to find them cheaper than 24.99 plus shipping. (31.65 a fish) I've gotten them before for 15 at my LFS in the past and seeing that no one else seems to have them due to the Colombia ban I decided to get some before they were gone.

Thanks again for your effort.
Columbian ban? Honestly, I haven't seen them under $20 in a while.

Chatito@3

CCA Members
I have seen and gotten some online from Aqua Huna, or even The Wet spot (they've been out of the cheaper ones for a while) Aquabid for 10 dollars, I also asked various LFS to try to get them for me, but no luck for more than month. that's why I was hesitant to get them for 25. One of the LFS told me about the ban for it and other species.

Update 2022 – Due to overfishing, the Columbian government has banned the export of Dicrossus filamentosus for all of 2022 and 2023. Columbia is the source for the Orinoco form of D. filamentosus so wild fish of this form will not be available.

Becca

Members
The standard price for maculatus is $25-35 each, depending on size. Filamentosus seem to vary, but are typically a bit less. Londontowne Tropicals got me some of each back in March. It's really difficult to get females of either.