• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

265 gallon

Peacockbass

Here is a quick shot of my new 265 gallon tank. this is a craigslist score. could not beat the price. A few beers and 6 friends later it did get into my basement. Thanks to everyone that helped. now any ideas on the filtering. i want to set this up right.

265.jpg

bschuhart

Members
I would do a sump with Poret foam in it. You can make your own, but the poret foam and a water pump will set you back a little.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
All depends if you are okay with a siphon overflow for the sump as it appears the tank is not drilled. I don't have any experience with sumps, but since my 180 is not drilled, I went the multiple canister route with filtration. It will cost you a lot more, but you won't have the risk of flooding in a power outage if you lose siphon. Plus, canisters are nearly silent.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Since there's no water in it yet, my vote is for drilling the tank and installing a sump. All you need would be two holes - one on either side for the drains. Returns can simply be run over the lip in the back.

Rasta Fish

Members
something about drilling a big tank like that scare me, i would go with a dual overflow off ebay, get a 55gl tank off craiglist and setup a DIY overflow system then add a fluval FX5 when your fish population start to grow.
If you can manage to setup a bigger dump filter like what Matt did on top of your tank that that wont be an eye sore, that would be more efficient (easy to access and clean plus you might save on the electricity bill by using a less power hungry pump)

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
All depends if you are okay with a siphon overflow for the sump as it appears the tank is not drilled. I don't have any experience with sumps, but since my 180 is not drilled, I went the multiple canister route with filtration. It will cost you a lot more, but you won't have the risk of flooding in a power outage if you lose siphon. Plus, canisters are nearly silent.
ADD A AQUA LIFTER AND WHAMMMMOOOOOOOOO! YOUR GOOD TO GO! ;) TALK TO DANGER CHICKEN HE WILL BE GLAD TO TALK WET DRY DESIGN AND PLUIMBING WITH YOU. HE TAUGHT ME...IF I CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN.:jumpy::D

longstocking

Members
Sump Sump Sump Sump :)

Did I say Sump?

With a trickle filter would be best...

Hang on the back overflows that are made nice don't look bad... better than all the other equipment that you could use :(

Plus then you could put the heater in the sump :)

Peacockbass

Well when i bought the tank it came with these 2 overflow boxs. I just dont know all the ins and outs obout them. I am scared to flood something.

265overflow.jpg

Peacockbass

The tank also came with a wood Canopy. but it will not fit on the tank in my house. It hits the vent work. So the canopy is up for sale if anyone is interested. I am taking offers.

265canopy.jpg

longstocking

Members
ok... you have the boxes.... so the rest is pretty easy. Just make sure you have a large enough sump and you should have no issues if the power cuts off. As long as you leave your in lines pretty high up on the tank.

They really are the best kind of filtration with the least maintenance.

just do some research... not sure on the exact size of sump you would need... 50+ gallon maybe? you can DIY much cheaper.... probably run you about 125 bucks including the pump. Use filter pads instead of bio balls under the drip tray.... much better in the long run. Someone has a mag drive pump for 85 bucks in the forsale section... a steal IMO and would be great for your size of tank. With sumps you do not need nearly the turn over rate as other filters... shoot for 4-5 times turn over and up an hour.

Last edited:

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
...just do some research... not sure on the exact size of sump you would need... 50+ gallon maybe? you can DIY much cheaper.... probably run you about 125 bucks including the pump. Use filter pads instead of bio balls under the drip tray.... much better in the long run. Someone has a mag drive pump for 85 bucks in the forsale section... a steal IMO and would be great for your size of tank. With sumps you do not need nearly the turn over rate as other filters... shoot for 4-5 times turn over and up an hour.
I have to respectfully disagree with most of that, some of it strongly.

bschuhart

Members
Hey, back in the Day, before you could even buy a tricklel filter, we made our own with hang on overflow boxes. My reef was set up for 12 years and only overflowed once. My 4 year old son managed to get a ping pong ball in the overflow and it was sucked down and blocked the pipe.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
well lets hear what you think. My ears are open to all views on this.
The reason I disagreed with most of this is there are too many variables still unanswered for the ballpark #'s given. Many of those varibables depend on what you want in regards to power consumption, accessibility, safe guards, available space, maintenance (cleaning and repair) and parts you already own. On a tank that size I wouldn't take any short cuts in the name of saving money or you may end up wet and your fish dry. This is just my opinion and I maybe wrong :D

ok... you have the boxes.... so the rest is pretty easy. Just make sure you have a large enough sump and you should have no issues if the power cuts off. As long as you leave your in lines pretty high up on the tank.

They really are the best kind of filtration with the least maintenance.

just do some research... not sure on the exact size of sump you would need... 50+ gallon maybe? Like the myth that a fish will only grow to the size of it's tank, there is a myth that sumps need to be 1/3 the size of the tank. I've found 15% is enough in most cases, the only benefit of a larger sump is more water volume, but that costs in space, price of the larger sump and electricty to heat the extra water. You only need a sump large enough to hold your media and tank overflow during a power outage. The amount of media required is another one of those runaway fish myths. My 220 has a 27g sump with room to spare. you can DIY much cheaper compared to buying new, yes; compared to buying a used w/d, it could go either way;again that comes down to already having some parts to DIY or be willing to spend the time and effort to find what you need cheaper.... probably run you about 125 bucks including the pump unless you have some parts already, I can't see it for a tank this size. But again a lot of variables. Use filter pads instead of bio balls under the drip tray.... much better in the long run here's my strong obection and I may not have all the facts here. I don't like bioballs either, however stacking filter pads has the potential of being a chemistry nightmare. The mech filtration will be good but unless you are cleaning/replacing them regularly they are grabbing dirt and more dirt and more dirt and it sits there and decays, dissolves, niritifies, oxidize and polutes. Unless there is more to this story I don't see how it will be better in the long run. Someone has a mag drive pump for 85 bucks in the forsale section... a steal IMO if the pump is NIB yes, used ehh, it could be a good deal or a bad one (the one from Dave is probably in prefect shape and a good deal). At the ACLC meeting in Jan (or Feb) this year Cartel purchased a used mag 5, he never used it and a month later gave it to me, it sat in my basement for 6 months, when I went to use it it didn't work, I noticed the front was discolored and slightly melted, someone auctioned a known bad pump and would be great for your size of tank that depends on the plumbing invloved, the overflows and return pump need to be sized together factoring in the plumbing that connects them, you can make any pump work that's strong enough to lift the water from the sump to the tank, but it becomes a question of efficienty in both filtration and electricty. With sumps you do not need nearly the turn over rate as other filters... shoot for 4-5 times turn over and up an hour.
Build it or buy it, but do it right the first time.

dogofwar

CCA Members
One of the benefits of a dump filter (over a sump) is that you lose much less head (flow) to gravity...

Matt