• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

150XH Build Thread

dogofwar

CCA Members
I scored a 150XH (48x24x32 tall) off of Craigslist for $60. Now that the tank is in place in my fishroom, I'll start a thread to show how I'm setting it up.

Here are a couple of the tank itself:

8-1-2010 Pics 016.jpg

8-1-2010 Pics 017.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm using pool filter sand for substrate. I bought a bag for about $10 at a pool store in Gaithersburg. I like this kind of sand because it's relatively course and clean (already rinsed!)...

8-1-2010 Pics 018.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Next, the filter.

I'm a big fan of sumps but not of drilling big, glass tanks...or pumping water up 8 feet (head loss). "Dump" filters are basically a reverse sump and sit on top of the tank with the pump in the tank.

Here's how I put together the one I'm using for this tank.

First, get a rubbermaid. I like the under-the-bed kind (and clear ones) since it's easy to see what's going on and it allows you to open the top drawer of the 3-drawer thing (more on that in a bit).

Drill three holes. One for input (attach a hose adapter) and two for dumping back into the tank. I always do atleast two in case one gets plugged somehow.

I modified this three drawer paper holder thing by cutting a hole in the top (water in) and holes in the bottom of the top two drawers (to allow water to sprinkle down). The bottom drawer is designed to allow water to return to the rubbermaid.

I filled the top drawer with filter pads and the bottom two with bio stuff (bioballs, army men, plastic pot scrubbers, etc.). I added some bio stuff from a couple of my active dump filters (already in use) and a poopy piece of fluff in the top drawer from a box filter.

To get the water from the pump to the 3 drawer thing, I used standard PVC fittings (not glued).

I support this on the top of the tank with some small wood....and voila... dump filter in action. :rolleyes:

I've used these filters for years (have one on my 125g) and think they're great. You can use a relatively small pump or powerhead since you're not losing much to head (flow loss of pumping against gravity). I use them as half of the hoods on my 2'x2'x1' tanks.

Matt

8-1-2010 Pics 024.jpg

8-1-2010 Pics 025.jpg

8-1-2010 Pics 026.jpg

8-1-2010 Pics 027.jpg

8-1-2010 Pics 028.jpg

8-1-2010 Pics 030.jpg

8-1-2010 Pics 031.jpg

8-1-2010 Pics 032.jpg

8-1-2010 Pics 034.jpg

8-1-2010 Pics 035.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Update:

Added a couple of flowerpots and a plastic plant (temporary "decor") and the first fish, a pair of Geophagus sp. "Bahia Red"...

All seems well...they're exploring their new home.

Matt

chris_todd

Members
Matt,
Nice score! What a great tank size.

I love the filter idea! I bought a 110g from Tony a few weeks back, and I've been trying to decide how I was going to setup the filtration - this solves my problem! I have a double-drilled 20 long (one bulkhead in the lower right, the other on the upper left), so I set one up tonight for testing, using an old AquaClear 20 and some Eheim intake tubing I had lying around. Worked brilliantly! Combined with the sheet of Poret foam I have, this gets me a complete wet-dry sump for the 110g with just stuff I had lying around collecting dust. Dude, you rock!

When I eventually set this up, I'll put and inch or so of EcoComplete in the 20 long and plant some Bacopa in it as an extra nitrate sponge; the stuff will grow over the edges of the 20 long and down into the 110, which should be cool!

dogofwar

CCA Members
First spawn in the 150 was the other night - Red Hump Eartheaters (Geo. steindachneri)... as soon as I figure out how to get pictures off of my cell, I'll post them.

The tank now is stocked with:

Geophagus megasema (pair)
Geo. steindachneri (trio)
Wild Green Severums (5)
Aequidens sp. inrida (male)
Geo. sp. "Bahia Red" (pair)
Krobia sp. "Xingu Red" (female)

The male Red Hump runs the tank...but it's big enough that everyone's doing well...

Matt