• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My $8 Unique Double Tank from CCA June Auction

fischfan13

Banned
From a beast to a beauty.
Li, I took one look at that tank and NEVER thought it could look half as nice as you made it come out.
I'll buy it for $12.:D

MonteSS

Members
I am glad someone will get some good use from that unique tank. I did not know how to clean akrylic so did not attempt it, fearing I would do more damage than good. I did fill it and it did not leak and was solid.

Better than me throwing it away :)

....Bill

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
So how many hours did it take to get it looking like that?

i think less than 1 hour...

1. i rinse the sand stuff out.... then fill it up... let it sat for couple days
2. drain and rinse... and add bleach then fill it back up... and let it sat for couple days...
3. drain.. rinse... and wipe it down... there is that i have done so far...

i think i need about 1-2 hour to buff it out... then its brand new...

Jumbie

Members
Great job Li....I need to buff my 120g...you did a great job on yours...so....you wanna do mine? LOL

Micro mesh is the best for buffing acrylic.

I got a tank looking like Li's before and made it clean and perfect.

You can start with sand paper than work your way down the grits and start using the micro mesh.

It will take 1-4 hours for Li to get it looking perfect. It just depends on how deep the scratches are.

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Micro mesh is the best for buffing acrylic.

I got a tank looking like Li's before and made it clean and perfect.

You can start with sand paper than work your way down the grits and start using the micro mesh.

It will take 1-4 hours for Li to get it looking perfect. It just depends on how deep the scratches are.

yup... that is the old fashion way... novus kit is much easier..

davidhusker

Members
its on ebay, pretty cheap, i used the kit once, just 2 and 1. 3 is for deep scratches only. I just buffed it by hand. It made a nice difference. I think the buffer will help tremendously. I have one now actually, maybe one day ill re-do the tank.

I still use the 1 (which is simply polish) every other month to polish the front panel of the 180. (outside..)

Spine

Members
I thought I recognized the name of that polish. I used to get free sample packets from Reed Plastic when they were in Rockville. Good stuff, you can also get 1500 or 2400 grit wet/dry sand paper from the auto supply shops and buff with out having to drain the tank.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
They say you can do it by hand on headlights but here at the shop it works much better to do it with a small buffer.

Cartel

Members
I use a buffer on a cordless drill sometimes with just rubbing compound followed by polishing compound other times I use wet sand paper by hand depends how lazy I'm feeling. This time around I'm just buying new headlights lol

MonteSS

Members
Most of the time the cloudiness in the lights is on the inside, where you cant get at it anyway.

...Bill