• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fungus?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
One of my 20G growout Malawi hap tanks has come down with some sort of cotton funk. Not all of the fish have it... the super red emps are fine, but a couple of my tetrastigma seem to have a white fuzz growing on their heads and around their shoulders up toward their dorsal fins.

The affected fish are hanging out in the rear of the tank, not eating.

I've been dosing Pimafix since Friday and did a 50% water change yesterday. It doesn't seem like it's working. Any advise? Should I move the affected fish to a hospital tank? I haven't yet as I figured the whole tank needs treated.

How do I tell if this is bacterial or fungal?

Jumbie

Members
If you want to move the infected ones to a hospital tank you could, I don't see anything wrong with treating the entire tank.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I wish I had taken a better look at these fish when I was over the other day. I would pull any sponge filters that are in there and disinfect them. Use a new filter and do daily or every other day water changes to prevent any ammonia/nitrite spikes. You may want to use pre-aged water to prevent your dechlor from binding to any meds you're using.

fischfan13

Banned
Tony, it could be [FONT=verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Columnaris infection (mouth fungus/cotton wool disease).
Lowering the temps is the way to go with this. Raising the temp accelerates this infection.
Treat with salt, daily water changes and Maracyn (Maracyn 2 could be used at the same time).

[/FONT]

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey guys.

Thanks so much for all the awesome responses. As Bill mentioned, I was very concerned about it potentially being the cotton/wool disease (bacterial). I looked it up and this is much worse than the fungal version. Basically... flush the fish and burn the fishroom. (Well, not that bad, but pretty rough)

From a website I looked up, if you can see small hairs on the outbreak areas, it is most likely the fungal version (called saproleginia). If this is in fact the case, then I think this is good news.

I got out of work a bit early and hit the tank with 1 TBSP/5 gal salt and hit it with malechite green (weird, right?).

Anyway, weird enough, all fish are swimming at the front of the tank a few hours later.... even the afflicted ones.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again, guys. You rock. :sign0092: