• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Seachem Purigen

Do you use chemicals to help keep tank water clear?

• Yes, and I would recommend it

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No, and would not recommend it

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Maybe, depending on the product

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Never crossed my mine. My tank water is crystal clear.

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
I know we all try to keep our tanks looking nice and when possible crystal clear. Lately, I find myself staring at my display tank and asking myself, "How can I make the water look clearer"? Someone on MFK mentioned Sechem Purigen. I read up on it and it seems to work wonders, but everyone has a different opinion, and being that I read this from Seachem, they are going to make it seem like its the best thing since sliced bread. So if anybody in the club uses this product or any other product/chemical to help keep tank water clear, please post what you use and the experience with the product.

TheWire

Members
I know we all try to keep our tanks looking nice and when possible crystal clear. Lately, I find myself staring at my display tank and asking myself, "How can I make the water look clearer"? Someone on MFK mentioned Sechem Purigen. I read up on it and it seems to work wonders, but everyone has a different opinion, and being that I read this from Seachem, they are going to make it seem like its the best thing since sliced bread. So if anybody in the club uses this product or any other product/chemical to help keep tank water clear, please post what you use and the experience with the product.

Hi if you are planning to get some...count me in and share the shipping. I am trying to get some for my sw tank

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I use a small bag in the back chamber of my 6 gallon nano reef at work. Haven't tried it on my other SW tank at home or my freshwater tanks. Not sure if it makes a difference visually, but I know it works on water chemistry to reduce nitrates, etc.

TheWire

Members
I use a small bag in the back chamber of my 6 gallon nano reef at work. Haven't tried it on my other SW tank at home or my freshwater tanks. Not sure if it makes a difference visually, but I know it works on water chemistry to reduce nitrates, etc.

they are rechargeable too...which is good

The Sechem website says this, "It polishes water to unparalleled clarity". Some other guys at MFK have also said it helps make the water clear.

The Wire, I'll let you know if I get some. I am leaning towards getting it. It seems like it is available readily at local LFS.

Here is what the Sechem Website says:

Purigen_500mL.jpg

Purigen
Product Description
Purigen® is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen’s™ impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity. Purigen® darkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with bleach. Purigen® is designed for both marine and freshwater use.

ingg

Members
I use it on one tank, and yes would recommend it. It also does a good job pulling otherwise hard to clear items, like copper, from water....which is what I used it for.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Purigen

I use it on all three of my freshwater tanks. The period between recharging will depend on the size of your tank and how heavily stocked it is. When I had a fairly heavily stocked tank, I needed to recharge it about every two months or so. Now, with less heavily stocked tanks, I'm guessing it will be more like three or four months.

I think it helps reduce algae, by removing nutrients that algae needs.

TheWire

Members
It takes away the nitrate and reducing the phosphate. Don't mean, you dont have to do water change either...

Tang,

Are you looking for a sw tank? I know someone selling a 40g cube, with light, skimmer, hob, heater sand for $1XX ish.. let me know i pass the word

ingg

Members
I use it freshwater. My tanks run lean, I used it to clear a mysterious heavy metal that was ravaging inverts in the tank. It cleared whatever it was, and is still charged in the filter several months later - plants eat my nitrates and phosphates, so it won't get much of a chance to get at those. ;)