• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Some of my other Fish Hobby

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
This is my 5000 gal , Koi pond in my yard ,Just a few pictures with my phone, .As you can tell. My wifes orange Butterfly KOi is 15 yrs old.

0602092011.jpg

0602092011a.jpg

0602092011b.jpg

0602092012.jpg

0602092010b.jpg

0602092012a.jpg

0602092009a.jpg

0602092003a.jpg

pond 06-02-09-2.jpg

0602092009.jpg

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Had two of those Herons standing in the pond lastnight, My neighbor scared them off. I've tried everything but a GUN. lol

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Great pond, Dave, Beautiful!

Looks like you have fishing line up to prevent the great blues from getting to the pond. That works pretty well and if you have had some of the KOI for 15 years, it must be doing the job. I have deer netting over my pond, high enough to keep it dry. I use to have loses every year due to Great Blues, but none after I put in the deer netting three years ago and the Potomac River is only a hundred feet away so I have tons of Great Blues nearby.

Where did you get teh rocks and how did you get them into place? ANd what kind of filter do you have on the pond?

fischfan13

Banned
Absolutely phenomenal pond, David!
medium-smiley-106.gif

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Pond

Thank you Frank, Our member and my friend SteveF does this work for a living. He and I and he crew built this pond back in 2004. As you can see he does Great work.
Filters I have 2 Artesian 1/3 hp water pumps with 2 57 watt Aqua Ultraviolet UV's.
Aquadyne 4.4 Bead filter in the basement and
Aqua Ultima II Bio Tube filter 4000 gal.
were using 3 in slotted pipe for the bottom drains
and I'm also running a air system plumbed in the bottom.
When we moved to this house we brought some of our fish with us from our original pond.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
That is great. Extreme envy on this end. Your pond makes me want to fill mine in.

George

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Impressive David!!!

I see that RockMan (SteveF) did a great job for you. I now see that you guys are truly talented and it's good to have you both here at Capital Cichlid. The Koi look incredible...gorgeous even. Congratz. :jumpy: :)

Can't wait to come over and hang out by the Pond!

Cool!

RM

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have a black powder cannon that you could set off. The neighbors would love it. I promise.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
that's one good looking pond sir! well done! I know what ya mean with the herons. my friend had a disappearing act at his pond until he put up some screen like wire up .when he did that his problem was solved. I hope yours works. I'd have to admit it can be very frustrating.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Hey Phil, For the winter I shut down the filters and cut back the plants and cover the whole thing with a very large piece of shade cloth. That keeps the leaves and birds out till spring. Fish do fine. I have a air system that keeps holes in the surface ice.
Have not lost a fish to the cold.

Frank the fishing line is working very well, just added to more pieces were I think the herons were getting in. I was using two SCARECROW sprinklers but those birds move so slow they weren't setting them off. Guns and arrows are good options but these birds spook really easy hard to take aim. lol
Oh BTW there also protected big fines I heard.