• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Scales is gone. What now?

cholile

Members
I was a devoted customer of scales. It's no more and not sure where to turn.

There are other stores in the area. I've seen some, but not others.

I was wondering if we could compile a list of area stores. No need to express opinions here (e.g. negative reviews) except that if certain stores have particularly large/small selection of various african cichlids that might be useful.

I'll start.

Tropical Fish World (Gaithersburg): http://www.tropicalfishworld.com/ - my frame of reference is Scales and the store is a bit smaller in size. It seemed to have a few more SA/CA fish (especially some extremely large SA/CA fish) than African cichlids, though it had one tank with some very nice male peacocks. I didn't notice too many tangs.

Showcase Aquarium (Wheaton). No website that I could find, but the address is 11250 Triangle Ln, Wheaton, MD 20902. A fairly small store and when I went there were not too many tangs, but some african cichlids (especially mbuna) and a fair number of larger SA/CA fish too.

YSS

Members
Second to Scales, I used to go to House of Tropicals a lot when I worked in Columbia, MD, but I don't anymore and it's too far from where I live. What would be the best alternative close to Tysons Cornder area?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I'm lucky up here. Still have Exotic about 25 minutes away and a little place about 10 minutes.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Second to Scales, I used to go to House of Tropicals a lot when I worked in Columbia, MD, but I don't anymore and it's too far from where I live. What would be the best alternative close to Tysons Cornder area?
Ever go to Superpets? They aren't far from you. They do not seem to be friendly with clubs so they don't get press there but it is a nice shop. Not sure of the address but thsy should be in the book.

George

Superpets is just off Little River Turnpike, about three miles in from the Beltway on the right hand side, its across the intersection from the Super KMart and if you reach the Home Depot you have gone to far. Its back behind a Popeyes. They have a good selection, small surly staff and prices that are not spectacular but fish that are not your run of the mill shop options and they have one of the larger number of tanks in the area, probably four rows of 40 tanks per row plus a few larger display tanks. Farther down Little River Turnpike on the right, just past Home Depot is Wally's. Its got about half the tanks of SuperPets but is all aquarium oriented.

iamzrad

Members
Ever go to Superpets? They aren't far from you. They do not seem to be friendly with clubs so they don't get press there but it is a nice shop. Not sure of the address but thsy should be in the book.

George

Superpets in Annandale is a cool place. They have an assortment of fish and the prices are not too bad. Plus they have some killer show tanks.

Pat, what is this "little place" you speak of that is not too far away from you? I'm relatively close to you and would not mind checking it out.

YSS

Members
Yea, I've been to Superpets many times, but I wasn't too impressed with them. I haven't been there in over a year, so may be it's time to pay a visit.

You probably wont ever be impressed with the staff.....but the fish and plants they get in are now among the best in the area with Scales going away.

YSS

Members
By the way, I work in Silver Spring just inside the beltway, is there one close to Silver Spring worth visiting?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Please remember to keep things positive.

All stores are potential sponsors of the club and therefore the forum.

:angel2: