• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

rate your local fish store

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
finding a local fish store that is well stocked, reasonably priced merchandise, clean, knowledgeable, and above all friendly. as easy as this may seem it would be easier to find g.w.bush making sense. :D so i was thinking of a poll to see where SOME of our local shops rate. these aret all but most of the shops here we are all familiar with.

Sonny Disposition

Scales, Scales, Scales. They get high marks for everything. If you haven't been yet, go. Cleanliness, service, inventory, and advice.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Never like these threads.

Please remember that some of these stores are
CLUB SPONSORS or possible future sponsors.

If we bad mouth a store, why would they want to sponsor us or give us discounts.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
sorry Pat but i wasnt bad mouthing anyone just seeing where they rated with the others. also, and im being honest from a business side, a little constructive criticism can tell a business where they are doing well and where they are not. however if you feel this thread hurts the club by all means delete it as i understand your viewpoint.;)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Not saying anyone would but threads like this do leave the door open for those types of posts.

cmcpart0422

Members
Scales, Scales, Scales. They get high marks for everything. If you haven't been yet, go. Cleanliness, service, inventory, and advice.

Good quality fish, great selection, and very knowledgeable. Scales is a great place to go for cichlids and they have a great selections of other fish as well. Its easy to kill and hour just looking around in there. Its worth going if you haven't been yet.

Tropical fish world in gaithersburg is also pretty good. Not as good of a selection as scales when it comes to cichlids but they do have lots of tanks with some cool stuff. They will take fish for store credit too. They also have a pretty well rounded staff when it comes to knowledge.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Rob Peterson and I recently took on the role of liaisons with the LFS in our areas (VA and MD, respectively).

I'm comfortable with this thread if it talks about LFS that are doing a good job...and doesn't go down the path of bashing.

I've got some ideas - from speaking with folks who run LFS in the area - for programs and other activities that can be mutually beneficial for the LFS and club. It would be great to get your ideas as well...

Running a LFS, especially one that caters to specialized hobbysists, can be a tough road to hoe... Let's focus on what the LFS in our communities can do to get us to give them our business!

Matt

Never like these threads.

Please remember that some of these stores are
CLUB SPONSORS or possible future sponsors.

If we bad mouth a store, why would they want to sponsor us or give us discounts.

Jumbie

Members
If I had to go to pick one it would be Tropical Lagoon, only because I have been going there since I was like 2yrs old, I know the owner Steve he’s a really cool guy, and there like 6 min away from my house. To be 100% honest I actually spend money at almost all of the fish stores in this area because they all have something different than the other. Almost every or every other Saturday my friend and I will start out at Scales, then drive over to House of Tropical, and then from there we drive all the way to Exotic Aquatics. Sometimes we don’t get anything at all (very rarely does this happed….come on give me a break it three different fish stores lol).

Tropical Lagoon is great. He stocks the random parts that no one else has in stock. Great location. His shop is now downstairs below his old one.

If I had to go to pick one it would be Tropical Lagoon, only because I have been going there since I was like 2yrs old, I know the owner Steve he’s a really cool guy, and there like 6 min away from my house. To be 100% honest I actually spend money at almost all of the fish stores in this area because they all have something different than the other. Almost every or every other Saturday my friend and I will start out at Scales, then drive over to House of Tropical, and then from there we drive all the way to Exotic Aquatics. Sometimes we don’t get anything at all (very rarely does this happed….come on give me a break it three different fish stores lol).

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Yea, I have to agree with Pat. This is a very sensitive subject because of our present sponsors and future sponsors. I think the best way to go about it is to make a list of all the Local Fish Stores and where they are located in Md, DC and Va. I am quite sure lots of people are not aware these stores even exist.

For Example, here is a list of the stores that I know and if you like please add to the list with other important info.

1. Scales Tropical Fish Warehouse
2. Pristine Aquariums
3. Tropical Lagoon
4. Custom Aquariums and Tropicals
5. Etc.. Etc..

Richard

Lively

Members
Well, lets see - my lcoal LFS's consist of Wallyworld and Petco... they never have anything beyond run of the mill fish - although Petco did say that they occasionally get EB Jack Dempseys... Over all, not bad to get supplies and food - and both have clean tanks and the people working in the fish dept seem to have a basic understanding of fish keeping. Boring....

There was a shop in Leesburg - only 30 minutes away - salt and fresh. He was pretty good - but it's gone now.

Lively

Members
Yea, I have to agree with Pat. This is a very sensitive subject because of our present sponsors and future sponsors. I think the best way to go about it is to make a list of all the Local Fish Stores and where they are located in Md, DC and Va. I am quite sure lots of people are not aware these stores even exist.

For Example, here is a list of the stores that I know and if you like please add to the list with other important info.

2. Pristine Aquariums
3. Tropical Lagoon
5. Etc.. Etc..

Richard

Richard, where are they? I read somewhere that Scales was around the corner from where the meetings are held - I'm out VA way tucked in the corner near the MD/VA/WVA lines - anyone know of any in my area? I HATE going down rte. 7 towards Tysons...

Cartel

Members

This is just how I am I like something from everyone so I share the love. Although a few mentioned I didnt even know about so locations would be nice. I mainly go to scales, house of tropicals, exotic aquatics and aquarium depot.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sounds like I need to go "run some errands" and "get a haircut" to disappear for a few hours some Saturday and check these places out!

2. Pristine Aquariums
3. Tropical Lagoon
5. Etc.. Etc..

Richard

iamzrad

Members
Better to talk down a store in person than on the internets. Or talk good about a store. People will have different views no matter what.

mscichlid

Founder
I read somewhere that Scales was around the corner from where the meetings are held - I'm out VA way tucked in the corner near the MD/VA/WVA lines - anyone know of any in my area? I HATE going down rte. 7 towards Tysons...

Scales is five (5) miles 'Northly Easty' from the meeting place. :) Usually a group goes up there after the meeting

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
i think this post has been misunderstood as a bashing thread. the reason for posting this thread was to find out about different spots and why you like them pricing, clean tanks etc.... most of you guys i think understand that but some dont. trust me if i wanted to bash i would have. no need to bash via the net just dont take your money there anymore. i dont know how it got to a negative thread but stop thinking so negative. already i have found out about stores i didnt know existed ..."tropical lagoon" is one. isnt this part of sharing experiences and knowledge. anyway please keep it positive guys so as not cause any problems or hard feelings. thanks.