• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Frank's 180G Malawi build

frankoq

Members
Very Happy with the new tank!
Thanks Eric.

Transportation was improvised but worked out.
0B1108C9-BD11-40E9-828A-44ACC29440B0_zps3xl7xyjr.jpg

EA045F61-2389-41F9-BD4C-AD22B09AC314_zpsusceys12.jpg

Got the thumbs up from my private inspector.
4EAA4AC7-A299-4DC5-ACC3-737E93E9DEE1_zpshqsvbiw6.jpg

Tank needs cleaning and some scratches removed.
I'll get on that tomorrow.

Here is the stand. Also in need of some cosmetic touch ups.

7E3BED70-9C0F-4CB8-8B9D-799BB002B0B6_zps7enehqva.jpg

when the time comes, I'll need to move the 90 to put the 180.
Does anyone have lots of plastic containers I can borrow to temporary house the fish?

Ading522

Members
dollar store has a nice 30 gallon plastic tub you can house fish in.. or any 5 gallon bucket will do as long as you drop an airstone in each and keep the temperature constant..

spazmattik

Members
awesome. nice pickup.

by move the 90, you mean sell it? cause I am on the hunt for one :) I have several buckets, they work well.

frankoq

Members
I'm hoping I can borrow containers. :)
I'd rather spend $$$ on upgrades such as LEDs and that nice black sand Thai has.

The 90G is officially on sale. I'm looking at 2-3 weeks before someone can pick it up.
I'll create a new thread with detailed pics later. but here is the preview:
$325 for:
- Very clean tank.
- glass lids
- 2 fluorescent lights
- cosmetically enhanced stand. (I sanded the old stain and then applied 3 or 4 coats of stain) added door knobs plus inside shelf.
- 1 power strip attached to the back of the stand.
- picture background. Taped to the back. you can easily remove if you don't like.

frankoq

Members
Very Nice 180 Frank. The fronts will definately grow to their max in that.

Yes, they will have plenty of room, but I'm already running into logistic issues. Fronts need to be picked up no later than sunday and I won't have this tank ready. Fronts will need to go in the 90 for a week or so.
I think I need to take a day off this week to make progress.

frankoq

Members
Surgery started today.
First we will remove the buckling stand floor and get a new one installed. While at it, I think I'll reinforce the stand adding more wood on the inside for support.

Exterior cleaning is next and then trigger happy with wood filler.
Last step, a few coats of paint.

A7200E64-6DD1-424E-B0FD-3D4C37D31095_zpsubdbrch4.jpg

spazmattik

Members
Question, how long does beneficial bacteria lasts in a canister not being used?

Are you planning to make the switch in a day? If you do that it will be easy. Just a matter of holding the fish in buckets of your current water. I would use several to bring in a decent amount from your current tank, keep your media wet... add new water to your new tank, maybe throw in some safe or something to help out, throw em back in using the old filter ..This is really all i did when i moved and i didnt lose any fish... except the one that was hiding in the decoration but that was my fault for not looking inside it.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If possible, run the filter on your existing tank until you are about ready to do the switch. I had power outages for 48 hours earlier in the year and did not notice any issue with water chemistry when the power came back on. I kept at least one filter running on all the tanks, mostly air driven stuff.

frankoq

Members
Are you planning to make the switch in a day? If you do that it will be easy. Just a matter of holding the fish in buckets of your current water. I would use several to bring in a decent amount from your current tank, keep your media wet... add new water to your new tank, maybe throw in some safe or something to help out, throw em back in using the old filter ..This is really all i did when i moved and i didnt lose any fish... except the one that was hiding in the decoration but that was my fault for not looking inside it.

this is what I'm thinking to do in 1 day:
- remove all decorations/rocks
- get several plastic containers and fill them with tank water
- go catch all fish and put them in containers
- empty the rest of the water into a large container (maybe one of those trash 60gal containers from Lowes)
- move 90 out of the way
- move in 180
- add substrate from the 90 to the 180
- add rocks/decorations
- hook up the FX5 I had in the 90 to the 180
- add the water from the 90 to the 180
- fill the rest of the 180 with tap water and then add prime
- crank up the FX5 and wait? do I wait?
- add fish to new home (I'll also add the water in the containers to the tank. or not?)
- later on, hook up second FX5

Someone please check the above steps and let me know if you see any issues.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Although I may be in the minority, I see no reason to save water from the old tank unless you are concerned about pH swings with your tap water. As an example, this past summer, I replaced the flooring in my family room where my 120 is located. On Friday afternoon, I removed all the decorations from the tank, filled a couple of rubbermaid bins with tank water, and moved all the fish to the bins (probably around 15 fish ranging from 4 to 8 inches). I drained the tank, set up some saw horses, moved the tank to the saw horses, moved the stand into the dining room, put the tank back and refilled it. After checking temperatures, I put all the fish back into the tank. Pretty much simulated a 99% water change on the tank.

2 days later, after replacing the flooring, I reversed the process and put the tank back in the family room. I basically did 2 99% waterchanges in a period of 3 days with no noticable ill effects on the fish. It actually triggered some spawning activity.

Hope this helps. I think way too many people put importance on "old" tank water when moving fish around. As long as the water parameters of the new water are similar to the old, you shouldn't have any issues.

frankoq

Members
If possible, run the filter on your existing tank until you are about ready to do the switch. I had power outages for 48 hours earlier in the year and did not notice any issue with water chemistry when the power came back on. I kept at least one filter running on all the tanks, mostly air driven stuff.

The reason I ask about lifespan of BB is because this tank came with an FX5 but it was unplugged for X days. I don't know if the bb died already.
I'm thinking of just give it a squeaky cleansing and just add new media.
Since I already have an operating FX5, I think it should work, right?
With time, the second canister will be colonized.
Does that sound right?

If you were to look up "counter productive" you would see a picture of a man saving aquarium water :)

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

frankoq

Members
Although I may be in the minority, I see no reason to save water from the old tank unless you are concerned about pH swings with your tap water. As an example, this past summer, I replaced the flooring in my family room where my 120 is located. On Friday afternoon, I removed all the decorations from the tank, filled a couple of rubbermaid bins with tank water, and moved all the fish to the bins (probably around 15 fish ranging from 4 to 8 inches). I drained the tank, set up some saw horses, moved the tank to the saw horses, moved the stand into the dining room, put the tank back and refilled it. After checking temperatures, I put all the fish back into the tank. Pretty much simulated a 99% water change on the tank.

2 days later, after replacing the flooring, I reversed the process and put the tank back in the family room. I basically did 2 99% waterchanges in a period of 3 days with no noticable ill effects on the fish. It actually triggered some spawning activity.

Hope this helps. I think way too many people put importance on "old" tank water when moving fish around. As long as the water parameters of the new water are similar to the old, you shouldn't have any issues.

Thank you! this is good to know and will keep in mind.
My PH is about 7.6 from the tap water. I have crushed coral in the FX5 and that helps me bring the PH up to 8.0. I some times add Malawi buffer.

Hannibal

Members
Correct. Since you already have one established filter up and running you should be fine with cleaning the new one.