• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DIY stand for 20-longs

chriscoli

Administrator
I've been threatening to make a Ted-Judy-Style stand for a while now....especially since house policy limits any additional tanks to existing tank-occupied floor space but specifically does not have any height limits. (i.e. I can build up, but not out).

So here's my first attempt at a tank stand. When in place, it'll also be anchored to a stud in the ceiling in a few places. I got a coat of primer on it tonight. I'll post more pics when I get it into place.

$25 in lumber...
$10 for a box of deck screws...
...learning to cut a dado by yourself.....Priceless!

For the record, Jim did come over and help me put the pieces together. :)

image.jpg

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Coming from a person with vast wood working experience the rack looks really nice
in the pictures. If your current job falls though please give me a call I have a position
for you at my job. .

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Looking good Christine! :)

Didn't realize you were planning 4-high!

chriscoli

Administrator
Dumb question: how will you clean the tank on the top?

Very carefully and with a step ladder. I have found that I'm quite tolerant of having tanks high up. The top tank is about as high as some of my others. The good part is that you get a lot of help from gravity with the top tanks....

chriscoli

Administrator
Coming from a person with vast wood working experience the rack looks really nice
in the pictures. If your current job falls though please give me a call I have a position
for you at my job. .

Awwww you are nice. There won't be any close-up photos, though....there were quite a few "inconsistencies" once it was assembled.

Hawkman2000

Members
Very nice. I like.

Have you thought about using the bottom tank as a w/d sump for the whole setup.

Another thought, 120 volt led tubes would work well on this type of setup. You might be able to use low voltage led tubes and control them with a dimming timmer like the current rsmp timer.

chriscoli

Administrator
Very nice. I like.

Have you thought about using the bottom tank as a w/d sump for the whole setup.

Another thought, 120 volt led tubes would work well on this type of setup. You might be able to use low voltage led tubes and control them with a dimming timmer like the current rsmp timer.

Very good thoughts. I've tried doing a bottom tank as a sump before...it didn't end well (I ended up with very wet socks on several mornings), and I resented not having the extra tank for fish. I use mattenfilters for my 20-longs so they're already set up for that.

I was definitely planning on doing LEDs for the whole rack, eventually (that'll be "phase 2" I guess). I'm not planning on doing anything high light, so I might even be able to get away with having them all on the same on/off or dimmer (or, maybe two). I liked Rapid LED's solderless LEDs (very easy to put together and customize) so I was thinking about using those.