• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Changes?

Somehow, I managed to convince my husband that I needed to move my tanks downstairs as we are rearranging the layout of our house. So we compromised on a designated area that I could put my tanks and tank related accessories. So, it's in a room in my basement, and has become my "fish room", though I'm not admitting that part to my husband, because he never wanted me to have a fish room. Hehe, call it a different name, but it's a fish room!

Anyhow, I just set up my 30g cube to be a S. petricola and N. multifasciatus tank. I used pool filter sand for the substrate and used lace rock up the back and left side of the tank because you can view the tank from two side when you are in my "fish room".

Later I'll be adding my petricolas and then some Anubias, needle leaf Java fern and Bolbitus along the rock walls later next week.

In the front right of the tank I have some shells for my Multie colony.

So all you rock wall building experts, what do you think of the use of rocks? Should I change anything? Improvements, opinions?

Thanks guys!
Arlene

30g cube right.jpg

30g cube front.jpg

Last edited:

dlfn1

Members
cool! did u silicone the rocks together?
hahahahaha, i won't tell richard it's a fish room! shhhhhhh! :)
i thought u got rid of all the multies.

I didn't glue them, but did a bit of rocking the rocks back and forth to make sure that a bump to the tank won't dislodge any of rocks.

I left 3 Multies behind to start a small colony. I just got 3 Microsynodontis cats to go possibly in there too. I'll decide later.

Arlene

Leffler817

CCA Members
Lookin good! Are they all lace rock? Do the rocks lean against the glass? It looks sturdy, which I feel I never could do well enough and STILL keep all the cool holes.
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Shawn, yes they are all lace rock! There may be only one or two rocks touching the glass for support at the base, but all the others are not. I wanted to keep the rocks off the the glass, so that way I could get a sneak peak at the fish from left side and the back of the tank and I can clean the glass when I get green algae dust. The key to stacking the rocks is to start with a really wide base and build up pyramidally.

Arlene

I think this is the reason why I like the lace rocks. I can find a lot of interesting pieces of caves, crevices and holes with lace rock that I can find with slate or other types of smoother rocks.

Arlene

Sonny Disposition

It looks great, Arlene. The only thing I'd do--if you haven't already done it-- is cut a sheet of egg crate for the bottom, beneath the sand bed. Likewise, the rocks should be flat on the egg crate, not on top of the sand, as a safeguard from digging fish.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Some smaller pieces of rock in front of the pile would soften the transition between the sand and the rock pile.

Blaise

It looks great, Arlene. The only thing I'd do--if you haven't already done it-- is cut a sheet of egg crate for the bottom, beneath the sand bed. Likewise, the rocks should be flat on the egg crate, not on top of the sand, as a safeguard from digging fish.

Yes, there is egg crate!

Arlene

Some smaller pieces of rock in front of the pile would soften the transition between the sand and the rock pile.

Blaise

I plan on attaching some Anubias nana "petite" to some rocks and placing those in front of the rocks on the bottom and some Bolbitus "small form" attached to rocks up the rock pile.

Arlene