• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Feeding live fish to my oscar

hotwingz

Members
Ok so my tiger oscar is now getting big enough to start feeding him live fish. I also have a albino bn in the tank. Its only a 25 bowfront (i know he will need bigger eventually!) but the oscar seems to have no interest in the bn what so ever. I know feeding him live food will help him more agressive. Is this going to cause an issue for my bn? Is it best to just completely remove him? Or can i just build him a rock cave and a few more extra hiding places???

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Stay away from live foods. There is no need from a nutritional stand point to do it. Get your oscar eating a good quality pellet and let it be. Unless you plan on breeding your own feeders, all you are doing is creating opportunity for parasites and disease to come into your tank.

Plus, with such a small tank, your oscar is going to outgrow it quickly. Stuffing him full of protien will just lead to faster poor water quality conditions.

I agree with Jon, I couldnt wait to get my bass off of live food. Every now and then as a treat isnt bad. I wish my bass would take pellets, they eat frozen silversides right now.

hotwingz

Members
Ah ok. Ya i knew about keeping feeders in a quarenteen. Ive had to that before but ya i never thought about the extra protein helping him outgrow the tank faster. I do have an excellent amount on that tank. But either way i think ill go with a good pellet. Tha ks guys!

Sonny Disposition

Big cichlids don't need live food and store bought feeders are usually pretty diseased, so you're just asking for trouble.

If you aren't happy with pellets and want to do a little more for your fish, make your own food. It's not difficult.

There are lots of methods for making food on the Web. Of course, I prefer my own:
http://www.sonnysfishroom.com/?page_id=269

hotwingz

Members
Well actually im hoping right now hes guna make it. We left for a night yesterday all was fine he was swimmin around like normal all excited to see us. Then we got home just now he had what looks like a wound on his head and hes laying on his side on the bottom of his tank. I think he hit his head too hard hitting at a bubble...any ideas suggestions!? Please!

hotwingz

Members
Ha well i dont know if we caught him sleeping or what. But we poked him a couple times turned on his ligjt and gave him some food and nows hes swimming around again :)

hotwingz

Members
Ya thanks. We were worried. Its funny but he always got excited when we came in the room. They really are like puppy dogs. He would have been missed!

Hawkman2000

Members
I find that the best treat for my cichlids are P.E. Mysis shrimp. I swear they see me from accross the room whe I am cutting those cubes up. Its the only thing they will eat out of my hand.

hotwingz

Members
Ya i gave him some shrimp before he really liked that. But i unfortunately found him on my floor when i got up yesterday :/ not a good day.