• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rocks

WendyFish

Members
Hey anyone know a good place to pick up some new rock to fill out our new tank?

We are domg holey rock for the tropheus, but want something else for the Munda tank. Ideally something like a white or light color limestone/sandstone? Our local garden supply place tends not to have a huge selection.

We want something vaguely rectangular, rather than round to facilitate stacking, we like very large high stacks of rock...

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If you don't want to get stuff from the "wild", I'd suggest Irwin Stone. I know they have locations in Rockville and Frederick, and they have really good prices on stuff if you aren't buying a ton (literally). The last time I was in, I picked up a few slate pavers to use around the house, and they let me have a bucket of large river rocks for nothing. They sell if by the ton, so the 20 pounds or so that I had was less than 2 dollars.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I was eye-ing some of the limestoney pieces lining the path to Wooton Mills Park the other day...

Matt

WendyFish

Members
Thanks for the tip on Irwin, visited them today and it was awesome. Came away with more than enough rock, really cheap, and they were super nice.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Would rip rap(?) be ok to use? I saw an ad in the paper that a construction co was giving it extra supply away free.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Cool I'll have to look up the contractors. Not sure of the color. It's the same stuff they dump along the banks to prevent erosion.

Buckcich

Members
The only time you have to worry about rocks leaching minerals is if you keep soft water/low Ph species. If you keep neutral or hard water species you shouldn't worry about it.
It is important to check the surface of the rocks for potential exterior chemical contaminants (from road sides, industrial sites, suspicious creeks/rivers, etc).
In any case, a good brush off will take care of it, in addition to boil them.