• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

San Fran considering ban of the sale of tropical fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscichlid

Founder
It might soon be illegal to buy goldfish in San Francisco. The city's Animal Control and Welfare Commission is pushing for a ban because it says the mass breeding of the fish is inhumane. The proposed bill would also outlaw the sale of tropical fish and renew a ban on hamsters, kittens, and puppies. The commission wants to discourage "impulse buys" of these pets, which sometimes end up abandoned in shelters. Reactions are all over Twitter, where one person has said, "San Fran finally found an 'impulse' they didn't like."

They should start pushing for a ban on people mass breeding. :)

londonloco

Members
Laffin, guppies collected from reefs? I'm really hoping that was taken out of context. My favorite saying these days is "Can't fix stupid, not even with duck tape"

YSS

Members
I think this has been going around for a while. I don't think this is new news. It keeps coming up again and again. This will never happen or at least I hope not.

mscichlid

Founder
You would think they would spend their energy and resources into educating the public about the proper care of animals and regulate the underworld breeders. Just like they cram the being 'green' and 'carbon foot print' info down our throats. These kind knee jerk legistations hurt the economy.

Regulations should focus on the overbreeding of dogs and cats. If you are not in the business of raising these animals for sale for shows or service work. every pet should be spayed or nuetered at 8 wks.

Further, when animals are vaccinated they should also be registered for the county. It could help cut down on folks breaking the law. For instance, in Prince Georges county it is illegal to own a pit bull and the American Staffordshire (i think), but yet I see people move in and get one. I like the breed, but they are breaking the law. The horrible incidences of bully attacks and other shady activity involving the mishandling of this breed has gone down expidentially.

Then you have to look at all the idiots who release nonindigenous species into our waterways and fields, This is where it all stems from; idiotic, stupid individuals; people.

There are stupid people who do stupid things with animals and it punishes all the responsible people.

Okay. I'm done.

Hawkman2000

Members
And yet, we still kill babies....

LOL. I am pro choice myself, but I couldn't agree with you more. California is bankrupt, flooded with people who aren't even supposed to be in the country and who don't pay taxes for the roads, schools, health-care... that they use, and many many more problems, yet those MORONS find the time to propose legislation banning pet fish. UNBELIEVABLE. This is a perfect example of why the U.S. is failing. As far as the cats go, give them there shots and let them back on the street. I don't think people understand how many rats and mice those cities would have if it weren't for those stray cats. Of course, this would mean they would have an abundance of cat pizzas. LOL

Rasta Fish

Members
"mass breeding of the fish is inhumane"
what about
mass breeding of the fish for human consumption for San Francisco city and Animal Control and Welfare Commission??

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Not on the board

And yet, we still kill babies....

Really. That's just too f-ing much. (insert f-bomb in front of second person singular personal pronoun) If I was a mod this thread would so be gone. But since it's not, how many unwanted, abused, neglected, orphaned children have you adopted? Put time in with the local community center, foster care, or social services network in your area do you? Give generously or anything at all to charities that do?

Right. That's what I thought. If you can take time out from 'holier than thou' you might consider checking out the real world some time.

Cheers from New Dehli

Wow, I just intended the link to be informational, especially since some of the better shops are in California due to proximity to Hong Kong, and their clubs are very active. Can one of the mods lock this thread out, or make it so that the only thing is the link I posted so people can read the article without contributing two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.