• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

rainbows?

halkentjr

Members
I am in the planning stages of my next fishy move. have a 55 gallon that's being resealed, I'm planning on rainbow cichlids, but is that a big enough tank for them?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes. I've kept them in 55 gallon tanks and smaller tanks, too. If you have a pair with eggs or fry, however, the other inhabitants likely will be confined to the half of the tank away from the rainbows. The rainbow parents aren't mean, just protective.

halkentjr

Members
ok thanks. for other inhabitants I planned on a few livebearers, the ones I have are gambusia that were $.15 each. should I plan on max. 2 rainbows?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Livebearers should be fine. On the rainbows, it depends whether you have both genders. If you have a male and a female, they almost certainly will breed, and then things will get a little bit tense for the other rainbows in the tank. I don't think anybody will get hurt, if there are territorial breaks in the form of driftwood and plants, but the nonbreeding rainbows will find themselves confined to a small area.

halkentjr

Members
my friend, who gave me the aforementioned 55, has loads of unexpected fry. I told him I would take some of them, but I'm sure they're too young pair off or otherwise determine gender. looks like I take 6-10 and commence planning the next setup