• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heating the Fish Room, Advice

dogofwar

CCA Members
+1 Drew is a pro

Matt

Wow lots of replies on a very involved subject. I would absolutely recommend insulation around the entire fish room with a r value of 20 or higher. 30 or higher on the ceiling. Steam is a wonderful way to keep the room heated but without insulation it will be a loosing battle to keep the room tempered. I would like stop by and give my professional opinion. I have 12 years experience in the HVAC industry. More than likely a mini split is you best option for effective and efficient heating of your space without compromising the electrical bills in the future. But if I read correctly you don't own the place directly? If that is the case steam would be the more effective option. It's pretty easy to run a line over to the area you need heat and condensate back. Let me know if your interested in having me swing by.

Sonny Disposition

Hmmmm.... I've been dealing with the issue myself for a number of years. My option was to go mostly with subtropicals, which don't mind cooler temperatures. Not an option for a tropical fish business. Maybe a partway solution would work for you: Partition off the basement for tropicals, and keep the subtropicals in the other part of the basement. I remember that when George R. lived in Virginia, he built a makeshift partition out off green house plastic and made a little room for his discus. I think he used a space heater, but I can't remember, exactly.

dogofwar

CCA Members
... just Google "Dexter Kill Room" and you'll get an idea ;)

Matt

Hmmmm.... I've been dealing with the issue myself for a number of years. My option was to go mostly with subtropicals, which don't mind cooler temperatures. Not an option for a tropical fish business. Maybe a partway solution would work for you: Partition off the basement for tropicals, and keep the subtropicals in the other part of the basement. I remember that when George R. lived in Virginia, he built a makeshift partition out off green house plastic and made a little room for his discus. I think he used a space heater, but I can't remember, exactly.

clearsky5

CCA Members
Ok Josh:
not sure if I missed it or not but here is my 2 cents worth..
I have a florida room, coverted into a greenhouse/growing area for my orchids. I was heating with those oil filled electric heaters until I had a hissyfit over my electric bills.
I decided to try one of the attach to the wall, unvented propane heaters.
I think during it's max output, it puts out about 25,000 or so btus...
they are not real fancy ie... they are not thrermostatically controlled,(with a thermostat) but if I keep it at the lowest setting, I can keep the room (18x12) constant at about 65 to 70 degrees... Now don't freak out...

remember
this is a florida room, with a layer of plastic covering it. it is like heating the backyard in effect.... the r value for this is ridiculous so maintaining 65 in there would be like probably 80 in an insulated room.
I set it up with a tandem two tank (2 75 tanks) that I manually turn from one tank to the next if the gas runs out.
the propane is costing me anywhere from $70-$80 per tank and last year the heater ran at about 1 tank per month. When it was really cold, I think i went through a tank in 20 days, but that is not normal.....
fumes are not an issue, unless you have a "sealed" room and i do not have that. but they are made for basements and family rooms and such.
The units run about 250-350
something else to consider....

JLW

CCA Members
David,

I'm looking at some of these on Amazon now, and from what I'm reading, they'll use a 75# tank in about two weeks.... Which type do you have?