• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Recieving fish in winter

Any tips for fish shipped during the winter months in terms of acclamation? Getting some fish tomorrow and I assume the water temp will be in the 60's when they arrive. What's the best way to warm them back up? I have a separate tank set up so they don't just get dumped into the 82º main tank but how should I do it- take the temp of the water in the bags then match the tank to that and warm it up a degree an hour or so? Warm them up a few degrees quickly then the rest slowly? Any tips?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Try to raise it over the whole day not in a few hours maybe no feeding until temps are back up and then transfer to your tank with the basic acclimation process the next day.
Jmo someone else might have better advice.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I'd have a bucket of cool, clean water available for when you receive them. The fish will have been in the bag for a period of time at that point, and you'll want to get them out of the dirty water ASAP. I'd transfer them to the clean water (temperature matched) and then slowly add warm water over a few hours until the water temp is close to the temp of your QT tank, then add him.

You don't want to shock them with a temp change, but it also isn't healthy to leave them in the shipping bag any longer than necessary.