• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rope fish

Howie

Members
Is anybody familiar with rope fish?

Theyre indigenous to Africa and are docile, nocturnal community fish.

Has anyone put them in with Haps or peacocks? Good idea?

Theres one available that's 12" and person is asking $25. Good deal or not?

Thanks for any guidance.

Owens

Members
Price is fine, never kept any with cichlids.

Can get to around 18", cousins to Polypterus so they breath oxygen, so you will need space at the top of the tank for them to breach a little bit.

Generally not aggressive, generally a fine community fish.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd think that they'd get picked apart by African cichlids...and probably don't like hard, alkaline water.

Matt

Forester

Members
I kept mine with lots of different new world cichlids and some other aggressive fish and they were fine. But they do see to prefer lower pH. They are also very sociable so it would not be the best to only have 1.

I had 4 for years but then while on vacation the air cut out and the other fish died which ended up killing them. They are awesome fish and mine were almost like dogs, they w I uld come up to me when I approached the tank and we're always very active. Within the next year I'm going to be setting up a 100+ gallon as a rope fish biotope. They are probably my favorite fish.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Forester

Members
Generally not aggressive, generally a fine community fish.

However they do like to eat other fish that are anywhere close to their mouth size. I had one die cause he tried to eat a convict.

Howie

Members
Minimum tank size? diet?

QUOTE=Forester;240069]I kept mine with lots of different new world cichlids and some other aggressive fish and they were fine. But they do see to prefer lower pH. They are also very sociable so it would not be the best to only have 1.

I had 4 for years but then while on vacation the air cut out and the other fish died which ended up killing them. They are awesome fish and mine were almost like dogs, they w I uld come up to me when I approached the tank and we're always very active. Within the next year I'm going to be setting up a 100+ gallon as a rope fish biotope. They are probably my favorite fish.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App[/QUOTE]

Forester

Members
I kept mine in a 75 but I'm sure a 40b would be fine. I fed mine primarily shrimp and earthworm pellets, and sometimes gave the bloodworms or live worms as a treat.

make sure your lid is secure.

mine must have had a rough day, because i came home from work once and found him behind the bar.

Forester

Members
make sure your lid is secure.

mine must have had a rough day, because i came home from work once and found him behind the bar.

+1 out of the 6 I've owned 3 have escaped. But they can survive awhile out of water. Only 1 of those 3 that escaped actually died.

Hawkman2000

Members
Had one years ago. Very cool. They love bubble walls. Also are escape artists so you need the tank to be fully covered. I kept mine with gouramis w/ a ph around 7.1. Might do well with jewels and kribs in a medium to large tank.

Howie

Members
Had one years ago. Very cool. They love bubble walls. Also are escape artists so you need the tank to be fully covered. I kept mine with gouramis w/ a ph around 7.1. Might do well with jewels and kribs in a medium to large tank.

Thanks Chad--it's a cool fish and not one that I've ever seen before. I will maybe add a bubble wand later.

What did you feed yours?

Here's some pics:

rope fish 4.jpg

Rope fish 2.jpg

Rope fish.jpg