• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Quarantine your fish!

Hannibal

Members
At first I wasn't going to share this story out of pride, but have since changed my mind in the event that it might help someone else in the future.

I will say that in the 4-5 years of keeping fish I have never had a quarantine tank for new fish, I would just dump them in with the others and everything was golden. That was up until the week of our last meeting.

I was at one of the box stores picking up dog supplies and wandered over to the fish as I usually do. They had black tetras on sale for a buck each, so I bought the 7 or 8 that they had. Came home and added them to my 30 cube not thinking anything of it. I do not feed my fish everyday so it a day or two before I went to feed them. When I went over to the tank all of the new tetras and my other tetras were dead. The few cories and the albino bn pleco in the tank seemed ok, so I scooped out the dead and did a water change. The next day was our Feb meeting. During the auction I decided that I wanted to bid on Chris' Temporalis shell group since I had never kept them before and had an almost empty 30 breeder. I got them and when I got home needed to move the fish that were in there so they had the place to themselves. I scooped the cories out put them in my 10 gallon that is growing plants and dropped the BN in my 40 breeder planted project.

I checked on everyone the next day and all was well. A few days go by, so I go down to feed the fish and walk into a whirlwind of death. All of the shellies in the 30 are dead, 95% of the fish in my 40 breeder are dead and the others are literally covered in ick. I flipped out scooped all of the dead fish, did water changes, and reluctantly picked up ick meds from the same box store that started this all.

In the end I lost everything in two tanks except for 4 Corydoras Habrosus. I was super bummed, angry, and just wanted to sell everything an stop keeping fish. But I am still here and have learned a very valuable lesson to always quarantine your fish or risk losing all of your fish.

I am sure many of you already know to quarantine but for anyone that is new to the game hopefully this helps you.

Becca

Members
I have some "special" situations where I don't QT fish (fish are super sensitive to being moved, fish need a very mature system, only 1-2 fish in the tank they're going in), but I think we all learn the hard way about it at some point - you're not alone. I didn't start doing it until about 5 years ago and it was because of similar issues to what you experienced.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Sorry Chris, but most of us have been there. Some lessons are only learned through trauma or disaster, but its a great time to have empty tanks! I think you'll find some fish available this weekend.

Termato

Board of Directors
Yea, that stuff is heart breaking. I'm sorry you went through that. I've recently made it a point after I got my first batch of Discus (I had 12 of 20 die due to ick and other parasites/bacteria infections) to never order from big box stores or large wholesalers ever again. I have been able to find a wider variety, better quality, and cheaper fish through the CCA. LiveAquaria, PetCo, PetSmart and all those shops...no thank you. Too many risks involved for poor quality fish.

Where you get your fish from along with quarantine can go a long way.

For those of you that don't want to quarantine, or can't, you could look into Ruby Reef's Hydroplex. I dip every new fish into this solution before it goes into my tanks. I had a fish I got from LiveAquaria months ago covered in ick. I dipped the fish in and 10 minutes later, not a single spot. Now, the fish is super healthy. I highly recommend this stuff. Especially if you want a quick solution to dip you nets in to decontaminate. The DIY King Joey's video is how I found out about it.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Great advice!

I think it depends a bit on the source of the fish. If I'm buying fish from a store or fish that I know are coming from an importer, I'll quarantine. I'm planning to quarantine some fish that I've ordered this weekend.

On the other hand, if I'm buying fish from someone local who has raised them, I don't usually quarantine. Perhaps I should, but I haven't had a problem using this approach.

Vinh2o

Members
That sucks! Thank you for sharing as a painful reminder to us to always practice the basic no matter how far we think we advanced in this hobby. With BFD 4 upon us your timing was perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Termato

Board of Directors
Great advice!

I think it depends a bit on the source of the fish. If I'm buying fish from a store or fish that I know are coming from an importer, I'll quarantine. I'm planning to quarantine some fish that I've ordered this weekend.

On the other hand, if I'm buying fish from someone local who has raised them, I don't usually quarantine. Perhaps I should, but I haven't had a problem using this approach.

+1 on adding fish from local's like Frank.

I put Frank's fish (6 sterbai cory) I got at the February meeting right in and within about 15-30 minutes those fish were livelier, more colorful, and better looking than the cories that were already in the tank!

Can't beat that. Healthiest fish I've seen. Franks fish are just amazing.

Termato

Board of Directors
It would be nice if members could share their Quarantine Best Practices. Do you give the fish a preventive round of medications?

I quarantine in a 10G tank unless the fish NEEDS a bigger tank. I always have at least one QT tank running just in case. It's been worth having it in the past. If you have extra media, it may be worth just keeping it around so you can start up a QT tank whenever without having to cycle.

I just use a regular filter on mine and have air stones to ensure aeration. All my QTs are bare bottom tanks with a couple of hiding spots in them for the fish. I float hornworth in a few of them to help maintain water quality. They received 25% (or more) WC every other day.

Every new fish I QT I do the following to:

1) Dip in hydroplex for 10 minutes before going into the QT tank
2) Don't feed for at least 12 hours
3) Wait a week and fatten them up a bit. let them settle in
4) De-worming medicine of choice - I always de-worm new fish to be safe
5) Wait 4-6 weeks for any disease to show up. No shorter than 4 weeks if possible. I've had stuff show up 3-5 weeks in. 6 is best.

For any new plants I do this:
1) Dip in hydroplex for 10 minutes
2) Clean plant and remove snails

After I started using hydroplex, I dip everything in it. It works too well and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sorry that you had this happen, Chris. We've all been there at some point in time.

And even still, there are times that I don't quarantine fish...

It would be nice if members could share their Quarantine Best Practices. Do you give the fish a preventive round of medications?

+1

for a quarantine tank...
-what is a good size tank to use?
-should it be running only when in use or always?
-best filtration type... maby just a bubbler sponge?

i have an extra 10g and was thinking about using it for quarantine but have never set one up. Also have never had to medicate any fish other than with salt..

chriscoli

Administrator
Oh, I am so sorry! And to voice the same thing that other's have said....the vast majority of us have done this too.

Quarantining will prevent sooooo many issues. One time I didn't quarantine because I got the fish from a known source that I trusted ( a friend). Well, it was the Typhoid Mary of Ich. It was an asymptomatic carrier. Took most of the tank down.

Quarantining also doesn't catch everything. I've recently had a parasite introduced into a tank from a group of juvies that I quarantined for 3 months. They were also asymptomatic, but clearly carried something very nasty that took out most of the other fish in that tank.

Again, sorry...that totally sucks.

lkelly

Members
As I'm sure Dave Barry would say, "Typhoid Mary of Ich" would make a great name for a rock band.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
My quarantine tank is a 10G with a sponge and box filter. I keep it running all the time, but typically will switch the sponge with a sponge in an active tank before putting fish in the tank. I'm not sure how long a bio filter lasts without fish in the tank to produce waste.

If I happen to move a group of fish out of a display tank and add all new fish, I'll just use the display tank as the quarantine.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
+1

for a quarantine tank...
-what is a good size tank to use?
-should it be running only when in use or always?
-best filtration type... maby just a bubbler sponge?

i have an extra 10g and was thinking about using it for quarantine but have never set one up. Also have never had to medicate any fish other than with salt..

Tank size depends on what size and how many fish you're quarantining, but 10g seems to be a standard size, thats what I use. Always keep the quarantine tank running, only way to keep the cycle in equilibrium. Sponge filters are generally fine for a filter, thats what I use, but I don't think the type truly matters. Just don't use any carbon in your QT tanks because it will remove any medications you use.

Tank size depends on what size and how many fish you're quarantining, but 10g seems to be a standard size, thats what I use. Always keep the quarantine tank running, only way to keep the cycle in equilibrium. Sponge filters are generally fine for a filter, thats what I use, but I don't think the type truly matters. Just don't use any carbon in your QT tanks because it will remove any medications you use.

But if something was introduced into the QT tank, wouldn't it contaminate the filter? So would u have to clean it out and maby have to start over the cycle if the bacteria die?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
But if something was introduced into the QT tank, wouldn't it contaminate the filter? So would u have to clean it out and maby have to start over the cycle if the bacteria die?

Yes, but I generally don't medicate unless I notice symptoms. If I had a quarantine tank that housed infected fish, once they were removed, I'd clean the filter well and let it fry out so nothing can survive. Grab a sponge from another healthy tank and you have an instant cycled QT tank again. One of the benefits of running multiple sponge filters in some tanks is you can always start a fresh colony without much work.

Termato

Board of Directors
Yes, but I generally don't medicate unless I notice symptoms. If I had a quarantine tank that housed infected fish, once they were removed, I'd clean the filter well and let it fry out so nothing can survive. Grab a sponge from another healthy tank and you have an instant cycled QT tank again. One of the benefits of running multiple sponge filters in some tanks is you can always start a fresh colony without much work.

My approach is that I medicate everything I QT for preventative measures. After every 6 week period of QT, I started taking the tank completely down and let it sit dry for 24-48 hours. Not many bacteria or parasites are going to survive that. I give the tank a good scrub with a sponge dipped in hydroplex and then I fill her back up.

In the mean time, I have spare sponges and filter media I keep in other filtration systems I have running. I just take those and put them in the filter. No cycling.

The old filter media from the QT, after disinfecting by keeping it dry for 24 hours and then soaking in Hydroplex for 10 minutes, I put it back in the filter in addition to the cycled media. Hydroplex kills beneficial bacteria along with it being dry so that cycled media is essential.

I especially did this when I got ick in one of my QT tanks. I set it up after 24 hours of it being dry, cleaned it with hydroplex, and then filled it. It's now a show tank with zero issues. Fish and plants are super healthy.

I always try to take the tank down after QTing but sometimes I haven't. It's best to be safe but sometimes I've gotten lazy.

After I take a QT tank down, it doesn't stay down for more than 2 days. I always keep one running if I can help it.