• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thoughts on Ken's Fish premium food?

Digital

Members
Anyone have experience with the cichlid pellets and spirulina flakes sold on ken's fish.com? I went on to buy their metro infused flakes and ended buying a little of everything.

Marlin

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've used the spirulina flakes, which seemed fine. I've also used other Ken's food, with perfectly fine results. I don't know if it's better than other foods, but it seems fine.

Becca

Members
I use the blackworm flakes and the fish love them, plys they seem to induce spawning almost as well as the real thing.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ading522

Members
my fish love the spirulina flakes from kens.. its not only the food thats awesome for fish in kens.. lots of little bits and goodies in there for great prices!

toddnbecka

Members
I tried the spirulina flakes, but prefer the veggie flakes because they actually have more veggie content along with the spirulina. The fish will eat anything remotely resembling (flake or pellet) food regardless of brand or nutritional content, canned green beans are pretty popular too.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've also used a variety of Kens products for years and had good results. He sells lots of foods of his own and lots of the commercial brands.

What fish will eat and what is nutritious are two different things. You really need to look at the ingredients - they're all not the same.

One thing I learned from Les Wilson's talk on fish food (at the ACA) and hopefully in 2015 for our club is that spirulina is bitter and unpalatable for most fish. It needs to be balanced with other ingredients or the fish won't eat it. That said, I've fed Ken's Tropheus Lovers flake with great results (as well as used the pure spirulina powder).

I'm a big fan of his new medicated flake. There's a ton of garlic in it and the fish eat it up (a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down) :)

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yep

I've also used a variety of Kens products for years and had good results. He sells lots of foods of his own and lots of the commercial brands.

What fish will eat and what is nutritious are two different things. You really need to look at the ingredients - they're all not the same.

One thing I learned from Les Wilson's talk on fish food (at the ACA) and hopefully in 2015 for our club is that spirulina is bitter and unpalatable for most fish. It needs to be balanced with other ingredients or the fish won't eat it. That said, I've fed Ken's Tropheus Lovers flake with great results (as well as used the pure spirulina powder).

I'm a big fan of his new medicated flake. There's a ton of garlic in it and the fish eat it up (a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down) :)

Matt

+1 on this.

This is why I said Ken's food seems fine, but I'm not convinced it's better for our fish than some of the other products. Ken's food has a fair amount of binders (wheat, soy, or gluten, typically). Some of the premium foods do not.

I'm not knocking Ken's food, mind you, just saying that I really don't know what is best for our fish.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I'm a fan of Ken's foods, especially the veggie sticks with calcium. They're great for shrimp. No copper.

Blaise