• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Newts

blkmjk

Members
Very cool forgive my ignorance but are they completly aquatic? Or do they need a spot to climb out of the water and hang out?

Drew

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Very cool forgive my ignorance but are they completly aquatic? Or do they need a spot to climb out of the water and hang out?

Drew

Generally it depends on the species. However if raised fully aquatic they need a floating island for when they occasionally get the urge the come out of the water if only briefly. They are air breathers with a large lung capacity considering their size. They swim to the surface a quickly take a gulp of air before either just dropping to the bottom or swimming around below the surface. Some species require a hibernation period others require a land based period to induce breeding.

The three species I keep are raised fully aquatic. I am acquiring four of these tomorrow with hopes of breeding them in a year or two. I have eggs from all three species I keep now gestating.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Notophthalmus/N_viridescens.shtml