• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sick Red Fin Borlyei?

Just raise the spray bar then, you should see it creating air bubbles in the water column. Most of the small pumps are pretty quiet you don't need one rated for a 110 even one for a 40-55 would work.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

manbern

Members
Just raise the spray bar then, you should see it creating air bubbles in the water column. Most of the small pumps are pretty quiet you don't need one rated for a 110 even one for a 40-55 would work.

Oh yes, that's what I'm doing already with the spray bar. It hits the water with enough force to create fine bubbles. Sometimes so fine, I mistake the bubbles for particulates or other "floaties" that's messing up the clarity of my water, lol!

Thanks for the air pump tips! I've been eyeballing this one Aquatop air pump that only operates when the power goes out. And I definitely need something like that to keep my fish alive. Kensfish.com sells it. Here's the link to the product page, what do you think?

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/aquatop-battery-air-pump.html

I have a similar one its a no brainer for anyone serious about fish without other back up plans .

manbern

Members
I have a similar one its a no brainer for anyone serious about fish without other back up plans .

No doubt! I have an AZOO battery back up air pump with the dual outputs, rated for an 80 gallon, but like I said it was too "loud" for me, so I have it operating some sponge filters in my tanks downstairs where I don't spend so much time. I have other battery operated air pumps to use in case of emergencyk, but they're not automatic like the Aquatop model. Knowing my luck, the power will go out when I'm NOT home and can't put in the air stones myself and turn on the air pump! But I think this Aquatop air pump will be the perfect answer for my needs.

As far as my plans for the 55 in the garage, at first I was thinking of using it as a breeder/growout tank. But now I'm leaning toward an Mbuna species tank! Oh decisions, decisions, lol!

manbern

Members
Good news! On a whim, I decided to feed some plankton flake, and the Borlyei gobbled that stuff up! I guess I have a picky eater on my hands! I'm gonna soak some of that flake in Tetra Parasite Guard for tonight's feeding just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Good news! On a whim, I decided to feed some plankton flake, and the Borlyei gobbled that stuff up! I guess I have a picky eater on my hands! I'm gonna soak some of that flake in Tetra Parasite Guard for tonight's feeding just to be safe.

Sweet has he colored back up? Maybe he was depressed and didn't have a reason to color up.

manbern

Members
Sweet has he colored back up? Maybe he was depressed and didn't have a reason to color up.

He's still quite black, but you can see the underlying colors wanting to shine through, with time. I emailed Live Fish Direct with my concerns about possibly getting a female. And just like Cichlidaddicted stated, they also stand by their claim as it being male, referring to the fin shape and coloring. They said that he is currently in his puberty stage, and that it will take some time to reach full maturity. I take photo timelines of all of my fish, and I can't wait to see how he turns out!

Localzoo

Board of Directors
He's still quite black, but you can see the underlying colors wanting to shine through, with time. I emailed Live Fish Direct with my concerns about possibly getting a female. And just like Cichlidaddicted stated, they also stand by their claim as it being male, referring to the fin shape and coloring. They said that he is currently in his puberty stage, and that it will take some time to reach full maturity. I take photo timelines of all of my fish, and I can't wait to see how he turns out!

Sweet