• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: Black Ghost Knifefish

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I live close to Rick's and shop there from time to time. I've never experienced any type of price changing during the middle of a sale, but I haven't bought much from them recently. I find that they have a relatively good stock and that prices are hit and miss. During the festae craze last year, they were selling them for less than $10 a piece for juvies, a pretty good price when they were so hard to come by. Other fish are double what I would expect for "normal" retail prices. If something is too expensive for you, don't buy it. I will say that they have gone out of their way to help me when I was in need. A year or so ago, I had an impeller for an AC110 go bad. I went to the store to get a new one and they were out. As this was the only filter I had on the tank, I was in a bit of a panic but didn't want to have to buy a whole new filter. Andrew opened one of the complete filters they had on the shelf, sold me the impeller at the price he would have charged if he ordered one for me, and ordered the replacement to put in the one on the shelf. In the end, I think it comes down to the relationship you build with the store. If all you want is a cheap deal, perhaps that is the way you'll get treated.

npbarca

Members
I live close to Rick's and shop there from time to time. I've never experienced any type of price changing during the middle of a sale, but I haven't bought much from them recently. I find that they have a relatively good stock and that prices are hit and miss. During the festae craze last year, they were selling them for less than $10 a piece for juvies, a pretty good price when they were so hard to come by. Other fish are double what I would expect for "normal" retail prices. If something is too expensive for you, don't buy it. I will say that they have gone out of their way to help me when I was in need. A year or so ago, I had an impeller for an AC110 go bad. I went to the store to get a new one and they were out. As this was the only filter I had on the tank, I was in a bit of a panic but didn't want to have to buy a whole new filter. Andrew opened one of the complete filters they had on the shelf, sold me the impeller at the price he would have charged if he ordered one for me, and ordered the replacement to put in the one on the shelf. In the end, I think it comes down to the relationship you build with the store. If all you want is a cheap deal, perhaps that is the way you'll get treated.

+1 I go to congressional aquarium so much now that I know most of the people. I don't complain about the prices, and they do usually give me deals. As Jon said, it's all about the relationship you have with the store.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Thats is true, I've known Greg from congressional and he always goes out of his way to help me. He gave me a great deal on his old 120, helped me set it up, and threw in a free festae an arowana from the store. One time I came in with a broken powerhead and he couldn't fix it so he gave me a brand new powerhead for free. I'm there almost weekly for blackworms and now crickets for my toads and he always sais Im his best costumer. Any store with that kind of costumer service is definitely worth going to. The man at Ricks put a quarter pound of black worms for me on hold when the whole shipment of worms that was going to congressional did not make it. I still stop by when Im in the area even though he sometimes changes the prices.

Becca

Members
Honestly - it really doesn't matter if you get the price of a fish in advance - you're not going to buy it until you see it and confirm that it's healthy.

Many smaller/local stores give paid CCA members discounts on livestock which can negate their higher prices.

I'd never turn down a trip to a LFS, even if it is a bit out of the way!