• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

new member in DC

bossanova

Members
Hi all, I've decided to set up the old tank again, and thought I'd stop by to say hello. It's only a 55, and I'm looking to keep Mbunas, probably some Met. Msobo and Lab. Mbamba. If anyone could help me locate some nice stock I'd be most grateful.

Also, if folks on this forum have experience with DC water and could share tips that'd be great, I hear the water quality ain't all that great...

Thanks!

verbal

CCA Members
Welcome to the forum.

Hi all, I've decided to set up the old tank again, and thought I'd stop by to say hello. It's only a 55, and I'm looking to keep Mbunas, probably some Met. Msobo and Lab. Mbamba. If anyone could help me locate some nice stock I'd be most grateful.

Club sponsor Dave's Rare Fish has both. Their website is http://davesfish.com

Also, if folks on this forum have experience with DC water and could share tips that'd be great, I hear the water quality ain't all that great...

Thanks!

Water from the Potomac tends to be hard and alkaline, which is great for Malawi fish. I haven't heard of any water issues from members in DC.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Welcome to the forum. In my experience, DC water is fine, no different than the water in the surrounding suburbs, although I haven't kept the fish you list.

Travis

Members
I've had issues with DC water a few times, especially when its hot out. I always premix with NaHCO3, Prime, and aerate before adding it to the aquarium (Tanganyika).

bossanova

Members
Thanks for the warm welcome-- here's a couple pics of the project, it's coming along nicely:

picture.php

The basic setup is 2 Rena XP3 filters for the 55. I put the foam in the first basket, fill the 2nd basket with Seachem Matrix, then floss up top.

picture.php

Does anyone have thoughts about shipping fish during a heat wave..?

Last edited:

turfboss

Members
Welcome

Welcome to the forum - I am sure you will find the folks here can help you both with the water issues in DC as well as the livestock you are looking for.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Nice looking setup. I'm a big fan of Rena XP3s.

Welcome to the forum.

dankdabe

Members
Welcome to the club Bossanova! I live in NW DC and keep 2 55s, one with 2 Jack Dempsey's and the other with mbuna and I've never experienced a problem with the tap water. I use Prime to condition water straight from the tap and throw in Seachem American Cichlid Salt and Malawi Buffer from time to time. Also keep driftwood in the JD tank which softens the water. All the fish are happy as can be and show great color.

marge618

CCA member
Welcome to the forum. Hope you can come to the Sept CCA meeting. You should be able to get MBUNA at the auction:)