• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

winterizing your tubs and ponds

chriscoli

Administrator
It's still summer, but fall is fast approaching. I was wondering what you all do to winterize your ponds? how about your outdoor summer tubs?

Becca

Members
I will probably just drain mine and move the fish indoors or auction them, but I am curious how to keep my iris for next year.

Jeff721

Members
Planning on draining mine as well. I just used it as a vacation spot for my smaller goldfish.

I will try to bring the potted plants inside into the 125, I might have to put a "shelf" in the tank since some of them are marginal plants. Not sure the lights will be strong enough though.

Probably just break down the filter and store it in a closet.

JLW

CCA Members
Most marginal plants do better stored in the garage, wrapped in newspaper.

I'm considering breaking mine down later today or this weekend. Nights are getting chilly fast.

chriscoli

Administrator
I was considering the garage for my tub plants as well. It gets quite cold back by the door so should induce some nice dormancy, but they won't freeze hard into popsicles either.

Are some better left outdoors?

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I move my plants into a smaller tub in the basement, where they get diffuse light and I occasionally add enough water to keep them from drying out. By the next spring, they may be a bit "leggy" but all but a lily and some parrot's feather have bounced back.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I'll probably move mine to the basement.
The only problem is I'm filtering it aquaponically and I'm going to buy a new filter for it since I cant grow the usual tomatoes and peppers indoors.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Drained my 35 gallon tub this morning. Discovered that the 6 diamond tetras now are 15, the 3 Ameca splendens are about 10, and the reverse trio of Corydoras gossei are, alas, still just a trio, and will rejoin their brothers, sisters, and parents inside.

The diamond tetras do look a bit more colorful than the others that have been living inside.

verbal

CCA Members
I'll probably move mine to the basement.
The only problem is I'm filtering it aquaponically and I'm going to buy a new filter for it since I cant grow the usual tomatoes and peppers indoors.

Do you have a pic of the set-up with peppers/tomatoes?

What are you planning on using indoors?