• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Is this a problem?

MattGT323

Members
There are green spots on my rocks that starting to spread over the darker, browner algae. Is this a problem or is this normal?

Thanks,
~Matt

image.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
At first glance, I thought it looked like something was eating the algae off the rocks, not that there was something on top of the algae. Can you get a closer picture?

MattGT323

Members
Thanks. Here are some more pics. Im hoping that its only the fish eating off the rocks but it looks like Im growing something different here. Its my first go with old worlds and my first using this much rocks. I hope it nothing.

image.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Never seen something like that. Does it scrape off?

I haven't had any experiences with stuff growing on rocks that was bad for my fish. Maybe it could happen, but wouldn't be worried. Are the fish acting normally?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
it's likely just a different organism (maybe another algae) growing in a colony on the rocks. I wouldn't worry about it....it kind of makes it look more natural, IMO.

JLW

CCA Members
The brown stuff is diatom algae.
The green stuff is another encrusting algae that is competing with the diatoms. No worries. :)

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
it's likely just a different organism (maybe another algae) growing in a colony on the rocks. I wouldn't worry about it....it kind of makes it look more natural, IMO.

Thats what I was thinking
I've seen algae that looks like the spots you have growing before and the fish dont mind it.

MattGT323

Members
The brown stuff is diatom algae.
The green stuff is another encrusting algae that is competing with the diatoms. No worries. :)

That's what I thought was happening, or a maturer algae spreading out..
Well thanks for confirming, I now have peace of mind. But one more thing.. if this is normal/natural, i should just let this be correct? I mean, eventually it looks like the green will be taking over and do I want the green all over? I'm a noob with oldworlds:/

~Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't think this is a function of the type of fish in the tank. More likely a result of the lighting and nutrients available.

JLW

CCA Members
I think it is a direct result of the type of fish in the tank.
Get rid of those mbuna and get yourself some real cichlids. :-D