• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ted's Fishroom reborn

tjudy

Members
Hello CCA! After a bit of a hiatus I finally got www.tedsfishroom.com rebuild. This time around I am trying a video blog. Please stop by when you get a chance.

The fish room tours will be coming back also, but as video tours. We are making our plans for next July, and it looks like I will be in your area for 3-4 weeks! So if you are willing to have your fish room immortalized on Ted's Fishroom, please make sure we communicate before July. I am really looking forward to the trip!

I still love this smiley! :jumpy:

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Sounds like good news Ted.

We look forward to seeing you at the ACA next year here in our neighborhood.

tjudy

Members
Hi Everyone...

I finished the first installment of what will be a series of videos about my fish room. This one is an introduction that gives a look around the room. I hope to add at least one fish room installment a week for a while.

www.tedsfishroom.com

tjudy

Members
By not creating a vapor barrier I an preventing moisture from building up in the insulation. This is a controversial system, but it has worked for me for five years. Once a year in the coldest months I pull the insulation away from the wall in three spots and check for moisture and mold. None so far. I had a room in Kentucky many years ago that was set up in a finished room. It was a rental, and when I moved out there was a lot of mold on the drywall that we had to clean up. I had to replace one section of drywall, and the amount of mold in the space behind the drywall was disgusting. By leaving the insulation uncovered I am, hopefully, preventing that level of moisture from building up behind it.

tjudy

Members
If you leave a couple inches at the top and bottom of the drywall open the space behind it would be vented. I guess the question is whether you want the room's walls to have a finished look to it or not. I do not care, and I saved the time and expense of dry-walling.

cwright

Members
My daughter and I set up a 90 gallon tank about 15 months ago and a 125 gallon recently. We're especially into discus, angels, and other South American cichlids. I haven't been able to figure out when and where the next meeting of the Capital Cichlid Association will be. I'm especially interested in a meeting where I might buy some discus. Also, I tried to join the CCA, but the website kept rejecting my name -- "Chris Wright" -- saying "only alphanumeric characters are acceptable," and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong; help would be appreciated. Thanks and hope to join and attend a meeting soon.

mdlnewman

Members
Follow this link Chris. It gives you all the info you need for the meeting. http://www.capitalcichlids.org/?pageid=meeting

My daughter and I set up a 90 gallon tank about 15 months ago and a 125 gallon recently. We're especially into discus, angels, and other South American cichlids. I haven't been able to figure out when and where the next meeting of the Capital Cichlid Association will be. I'm especially interested in a meeting where I might buy some discus. Also, I tried to join the CCA, but the website kept rejecting my name -- "Chris Wright" -- saying "only alphanumeric characters are acceptable," and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong; help would be appreciated. Thanks and hope to join and attend a meeting soon.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Thanks for the videos, Ted. Your website is clean and well thought out, as is your fish room. :)

I was following the TFW breeder's challenge this year and was wondering where you had all the space for all those batches of fry. I see now.

Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing you in July. I would love to have you drop by when you are in town if you're looking to kill some time. My fishroom pales in comparison to yours, but always love for more experienced folks to drop by with suggestions.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Well put, Ted: "Save money by spending less on electricity... that way you have more money to buy fish."

chris_todd

Members
why are shop lights not a good idea?

In general, they are less efficient than, for example, T5 high output (T5HO) lights, in terms of lumens per watt. Unless you have live plants in your tank, though, I think Ted's main point is "turn lights off unless you're looking at your fish".

Ted, please correct me if I'm wrong.

After all, unless you're trying to grow live plants, if you have lights on while you're not at home, then the only thing you're doing by leaving the lights on is growing algae. Which could be perfect for algae-grazing species like tropheus and mbuna, but is otherwise an unnecessary waste of energy.