• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Watching Altums and other speicies

BIG_Z

Members
is that a plant or algae at around the 1:56-2:00 min mark? Looks like algae but hoping its a plant :D

dogofwar

CCA Members
I heard Venzuela and Colombia in the German, so I'm assuming that's where this was filmed. The type locality for P. altum is Atabapo, Río Orinoco, Venezuela.

I was suprised to see as many rocks as I did. I'm assuming that they're non-buffering metamorphic-type rocks (vs. limestone).

The plants seem more like algae than plants.

Matt

chris_todd

Members
Matt, I was thinking the same thing, then I remembered Wayne Liebel's talk from the catfish convention a few years ago, and remembered that the Orinoco is in the Guyana shield. IIRC, those rocks should all be granite. That's why so many of the rivers in that region are so soft - no minerals to dissolve into the water...

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I was surprised at the amount of water movement in and around the rocks, even at lower levels. I really enjoyed this video. It is the first I have seen that captures so many species in one viewing. I really like the altums and the catfish at the six minute mark.