• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking for fish

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Wrong hemisphere

Geographically speaking - not a commentary on your cerebral function. OK, maybe a little.

:D

MarkK

CCA Members
Your best bet is to attend the January meeting where there will probably be lots of Mbuna for sale at dirt cheap prices.

I have Tanganyikans for sale if you are interested in those.

dshaffer3

Members
Thanks for the INFO MarkK!! I don't have any experience with Tanganyikans, but I'm very interested in them. Still researching them. I would definitely want to practice first with keeping the ph at the right levels. Is there anything that you recommend that I read? What sites will give me the most relevant info? I have a 33gal breeder and a 36gal bow that I can use.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Rocket science it's not

One tablespoon of baking soda per five gallons of H2O and use crushed coral or something with similar buffering capacity for substrate and you never have to really think/worry about pH. Ain't no thing.

Malawimania

Members
One tablespoon of baking soda per five gallons of H2O and use crushed coral or something with similar buffering capacity for substrate and you never have to really think/worry about pH. Ain't no thing.[/QUOTE

If I were to use the baking soda, after water changes do I add baking soda for the water I replace, or should I add baking soda for the whole volume of the tank. Can you use too much baking soda? Also, will plecos have a difficult time adjusting to it? I have a L017 not sure how he will respond.

-Steve

verbal

CCA Members
If I were to use the baking soda, after water changes do I add baking soda for the water I replace, or should I add baking soda for the whole volume of the tank. Can you use too much baking soda? Also, will plecos have a difficult time adjusting to it? I have a L017 not sure how he will respond.

-Steve

If you are doing smaller water changes, you probably want to measure your pH a few times. Because you may have the pH in your tank dropping some between water changes. If you are doing a 40%+ water change I think the amount for the new water would likely keep the pH at a desired level.

One of the benefits of Baking Soda is that it won't raise the pH above 8-something(don't remember the exact figure). The might be a little high for the more exotic plecos.