• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

unknow fish

Jmty

Members
what kind of fish may this be ? sorry about the plants got fat fingers couldn't delete pics.

DSCN4174.jpg

DSCN4175.jpg

DSCN4176.jpg

DSCN4177.jpg

11-10-12 003.jpg

11-10-12 004.jpg

11-10-12 005.jpg

11-10-12 007.jpg

Hawkman2000

Members
Im surprised its still alive...what is your Ph? They like acidic water more than alkalinity water. It would thrive a lot better in the first planted tank you showed, at least as far as water chemistry goes.

I have read that it can be kept enviroments with a Ph ranging from 6.0 to 8.0, or even higher. However, I would think 7.0 to 7.4 would be best.

It will probobly become pretty aggressive towards the other fish. I had a female for awhile that had a male firemouth and a male convict cowering in a corner.

I have also read conficting information an their natural feeding habits.Seriously Fish states "Although often referred to as an ‘eartheater’ this species isn’t as benthophagous as members of Geophagus though mouthfuls of substrate are sometimes taken and sifted for edible items." while Sam Borstiens site states "'Geophagus' brasiliensis is a omnivore, searching for edibles by sifting through the sand. In an aquarium this fish will accept almost any kind of prepared food. I like spectrum and tetra cichlid sticks as they put weight on the fish and keep them in good condition."

Either way, I would recommend a sandy substrate. Unless something else is necessary for plants.

Last edited:

verbal

CCA Members
They aren't too fussy with regard to water conditions. They are pretty rough and tumble for a geo. At one point, I was planning on putting a group with GTs in a 180, but I ended up re-thinking that tank.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Brasiliensis with GTs would be a good combo, especially in a 180g.

Matt

They aren't too fussy with regard to water conditions. They are pretty rough and tumble for a geo. At one point, I was planning on putting a group with GTs in a 180, but I ended up re-thinking that tank.