• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Fish Room ... the build!

longstocking

Members
As some of you know we bought a house and we are in the process of building a new fish room... this is a LONGGGGGG process but I know it will be worth it in the end :D. ...

The building ( where the fish are going ) is a very large insulated garage with a wood stove and ceiling fans ( about 900 sq. feet ) ! I'll post a few pics as soon as I can ( still moving ). Hopefully we can all share ideas. I've helped build a few of these but you can always learn something ... at least I hope I will :cool:

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Drains in the floor and floor slanted so water drains to the drains? That is one thing that I wish my floor was designed to do. But no the water drains away from the drain, so I have to use a shop vac.

YSS

Members
Congrats on the purchase, Sarah. So, where's your new home? Hopefully somewhere closer to where I live. :)

longstocking

Members
I saw that Pat... something similar will be done but I don't like not being able to see my fry. That would drive me nutz.

The house is still in Glen Burnie... sorry yun... Point Pleasant :) A block from the water :) So, you can come by and then go have a drink at the 5 bars out here :D

okay the outside... this is the garage... not our house. There was some confusion on another site lol

GetMedia.ashx

okay... first off I have no water going to this building. So, temporarily Bill ran two lines from the house that I can put away when it freezes. Yes I will have water soon... but, for now I don't. Getting the tanks and racks set up are more important for now. He ran them from the basement lines into a slop sink we put into the garage.

Heat was another issue. While a wood stove will do the heavy lifting I needed back up in case we are gone for a while. So, we decided eventually we will put in a furnance... but again, temporarily I needed something. Something cheap that won't run me a fortune. Doing a bit of research... heating large spaces ( remember I am insulated )... was the hard part. I opted for these that are energy efficient.

41DId9GtDuL._SY450_.jpg

DeLonghi EW7707CM Safeheat 1500W ComforTemp Portable Oil-Filled Radiator

They are doing a great job so far... on the energy efficient mode.

With a wood stove... we have figured out harder wood is better ( lololol so many jokes here )... we bought a cord of red oak for a very good price. It burns very nicely and evenly.

okay another way of heating was a dehumidifier... I went with the largest I could without going to the industrial level. The wood stove will dry things out... but I figured a dehumidifier will also help heat the place as well as remove any humidity issues. This is the dehumidifier we decided to do.

71YrQdUQYML._SL1500_.jpg

SoleusAir Energy Star 70 Pint Dehumidifier, with Straight Bucket, # DP2-70-03

Frank I can't redo the whole building lol... it's already built. We get to do the water system.... but in terms of spills... it's the old fashion way.

okay... so I have to move my tanks from my old place right ? ;)

So in order to do this... we built another rack to slide most of my 50 longs into.... we bought this air pump, thanks to Sam... for 100.00 on ebay.

alita40-80airpump.jpg

It should run my whole fish room... and it's pretty darn quite. For now we have to bleed a lot of the air ;) Only uses 80 watts.

So, the first rack of about 6 to 8 racks... it's about 14 feet long and 4 tiers high. I'll post a picture later. We ran PVC and air valves. Painted the rack to try and keep the racks lasting longer....

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
I know you can get clear food service containers but don;t know pricing.
Plus it would still distort a little bit but you would be able to see through.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Are you able to set the temp with those radiator type heaters? The one I had did not have a digital thermostat and it was hard to set the top temp.
It would fluctuate too much. I would walk in one day and it would be 78 and a few hours later would be 82.
I ended up using smaller digital ceramic type heaters because I could set the temp I wanted. Uses more electric though.
Of course I am also only heating 136sq feet.

I also had something you might want to try. That Fish Place has a thermometer that is wireless. You could put the one part in the fish house and the receiver in the house. You could see the temp in there without walking down. I used to have one in each row of tanks and then the receiver was next to my chair in the family room. I also used it when going to OCA. Could keep track of the temp in the show fish while driving. Not sure on the range.

Last edited:

longstocking

Members
Pat got both of your ideas covered. This was the only radiator type heater that had a thermostat :) radiator types do the best when heating larger spaces for extended times. But again, this is temporary... furnace soon, we need to run 220 first :)

In terms of monitoring it... Bill had an old "weather station".... he wanted a new one. So I got the old one and put it in the fish room. So I can monitor the fish room in my house. Something like this but it's older and not solar... http://www.theweatherstore.com/sowithwsbyla.html

ezrk

Members
If you wanted you could use a Jehmco style temperature controller on your radiators if you wanted more/better/different temperature control. Especially if you are using multiple radiators which will have the same issue as multiple in tank heaters without a temperature controller.

longstocking

Members
I'm getting pretty good control with the radiators with thermostats that I have :)

But... here is the first rack :) Holds 9 50's and then my 6 foot 75...and another 75.

Tank Stand.jpg

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Might be time to christen your new, um, garage (needs windows)

"Ville Kulla" has a nice ring to it don't you think?

:D

longstocking

Members
Yeah I know I want windows actually... at least one :lol: !

I have tanks already in the racks.... but we still need to run auto water changes.... etc. Eventually the racks will be double sided but until the water gets run.... rack building is put on hold.

lol funny Sam :) cute name.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Consistency

You do recall its provenance of course. Just tell me your boat isn't named the Hoptoad.

longstocking

Members
lmao no the boat isn't named after pippi's fathers boat. I was actually going to get the whole crew tattooed on my back... but I stopped at pippi ;) The boat, horse, monkey, the kids, tree, house etc.... glad I stopped :lol:

Go look at my classified ad Sam... need to know which one you want.