• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mixing Lake Victoria Cichlids

Jay

CCA Members
Most Lake Victoria Cichlids can be mixed with African Cichlids from both their area and the other Lakes. There are a few exceptions, however.

One issue with Lake Victoria Cichlids is that a number of their females look similar and if you mix both males and females you will likely get cross breeding. This is not a desirable thing especially since most of these fish are endangered and are part of the C.A.R.E.S. program. Greg Steves, our speaker for October is part of this program and probably will speak about it in October.

If you visit my web site www.cichlidsarespecial.com you will find I offer one of the largest selections of Lake Victoria fish anywhere. My compatibility chart can also help guide you on how to mix them.

Generally: Pundamilia do not mix with other Pundamila, other Victorians or other fish with red in their color. Mbipia type fish are very similar in agression to Pundamila as well.

Astatotilapia mix well with each other and a number of fish from the other lakes.

Exceptions: Astatotilapia Sp. 44 Thick Skin is more aggressive and does not mix well with other Victorians or more peaceful cichlids. Astatotilapia Ananecolor, Calliptera, and Haplochromis Ruby Green, Paralabidochromis Fire Uganda, Ptychromis Hippo Point Salmon, Xystichromis All Red Kyoga, Sp. Day Glow, and Sp. Flameback have similar looking females.
Astatotilapia Latifasciata (Zebra Obliquidens) can be mixed with other victorians and mildly aggressive fish from the other lakes. Sometimes they can be a problem if mixed with Peacocks, Lethrinops, or other peaceful Cichlids.

Haplochromis Ruby Green, Ruby Green Albino and Xystrichromis All Red Kyoga are shy fish that mix best with peaceful cichlids only.

Haplochromis Ruby Green Albino and Astatotilapia Latifasciata Albino are similar and should not be mixed.

Haplochromis Kenya Gold mix well with a large number of other fish from both Victoria and the other lakes. I lost my breeding group of these fish and am trying hard to obtain a group of 20 or so of these fish.

Paralabidichroms mix well with most Victorians except for Pundamila and Mbipia types. They also mix well with a lot of fish from the other two lakes.

Exceptions: Paralabidichromis Chromogynos Black Piebald, Red Fin Piebald, and Sp. Florescent Pink (Line Bred Red Fin Piebald) males are similar and do not mix well as a result. I find that Red Fin Piebald Males are very difficult to get to color to their full blue color. Sp. Florescent Pink males can either be pink or blue like the regular Red Fins Piebald. Paralabidichromis Sauvagei Blue Rock Kribensis is not a good mix with these fish either. I have yet to be able to obtain them, however. Sauvagei Checkerborad and Yellow Rock Kribensis are too similar in looks and should not be mixed together.

Ptyochromis Hippo Point Salmon mixes well with peaceful to mildly aggressive Victorians and peaceful to mildly aggressive fish from the other lakes. They can be shy, however, and do not mix well with more aggressive fish, especially aggressive Mbuna. As discussed at today's meeting these fish eat snails and will rid a tank of any snails in a hurry.

Xystrichromis Sp. Dayglow look similar to Ptychromis Hippo Point Salmon and are not a great match with Hippo Salmon. Sometimes they will get along and other times they may not. Mixing two males (one of each type) normally requires a larger tank with plenty of hiding places. oN the other hand, Dayglow are a very unusual fish. Males can change from yellow and Red to Blue on a Whim.

Xystichromis Sp. Blue Fin mix will a lot of other Victorians and fish from the other lakes. Exception Paralabidochromis Sauvagei Blue Rock Kribensis which looks very similar to this fish. I am trying to get Sp. Blue fins; but, they are very hard to find.

Xystichromis Sp. Flameback mix well with other Victorians and fish from the other two lakes. Patience is needed, however, to get this fish to show full color. In order to show their true color they need to become comfortable with their tank surroundings and tank mates. This can take some time. In addition, they rarely color under 3" in size.

I strongly suggest, do not overlook these fish. Many are endangered and it is up to the hobbyist to keep them available for generations to come.

More information on these fish and many of them are available for sale on my web site.

marge618

CCA member
Thanks for the info :D
Most Lake Victoria Cichlids can be mixed with African Cichlids from both their area and the other Lakes. There are a few exceptions, however.

One issue with Lake Victoria Cichlids is that a number of their females look similar and if you mix both males and females you will likely get cross breeding. This is not a desirable thing especially since most of these fish are endangered and are part of the C.A.R.E.S. program. Greg Steves, our speaker for October is part of this program and probably will speak about it in October.

If you visit my web site www.cichlidsarespecial.com you will find I offer one of the largest selections of Lake Victoria fish anywhere. My compatibility chart can also help guide you on how to mix them.

Generally: Pundamilia do not mix with other Pundamila, other Victorians or other fish with red in their color. Mbipia type fish are very similar in agression to Pundamila as well.

Astatotilapia mix well with each other and a number of fish from the other lakes.

Exceptions: Astatotilapia Sp. 44 Thick Skin is more aggressive and does not mix well with other Victorians or more peaceful cichlids. Astatotilapia Ananecolor, Calliptera, and Haplochromis Ruby Green, Paralabidochromis Fire Uganda, Ptychromis Hippo Point Salmon, Xystichromis All Red Kyoga, Sp. Day Glow, and Sp. Flameback have similar looking females.
Astatotilapia Latifasciata (Zebra Obliquidens) can be mixed with other victorians and mildly aggressive fish from the other lakes. Sometimes they can be a problem if mixed with Peacocks, Lethrinops, or other peaceful Cichlids.

Haplochromis Ruby Green, Ruby Green Albino and Xystrichromis All Red Kyoga are shy fish that mix best with peaceful cichlids only.

Haplochromis Ruby Green Albino and Astatotilapia Latifasciata Albino are similar and should not be mixed.

Haplochromis Kenya Gold mix well with a large number of other fish from both Victoria and the other lakes. I lost my breeding group of these fish and am trying hard to obtain a group of 20 or so of these fish.

Paralabidichroms mix well with most Victorians except for Pundamila and Mbipia types. They also mix well with a lot of fish from the other two lakes.

Exceptions: Paralabidichromis Chromogynos Black Piebald, Red Fin Piebald, and Sp. Florescent Pink (Line Bred Red Fin Piebald) males are similar and do not mix well as a result. I find that Red Fin Piebald Males are very difficult to get to color to their full blue color. Sp. Florescent Pink males can either be pink or blue like the regular Red Fins Piebald. Paralabidichromis Sauvagei Blue Rock Kribensis is not a good mix with these fish either. I have yet to be able to obtain them, however. Sauvagei Checkerborad and Yellow Rock Kribensis are too similar in looks and should not be mixed together.

Ptyochromis Hippo Point Salmon mixes well with peaceful to mildly aggressive Victorians and peaceful to mildly aggressive fish from the other lakes. They can be shy, however, and do not mix well with more aggressive fish, especially aggressive Mbuna. As discussed at today's meeting these fish eat snails and will rid a tank of any snails in a hurry.

Xystrichromis Sp. Dayglow look similar to Ptychromis Hippo Point Salmon and are not a great match with Hippo Salmon. Sometimes they will get along and other times they may not. Mixing two males (one of each type) normally requires a larger tank with plenty of hiding places. oN the other hand, Dayglow are a very unusual fish. Males can change from yellow and Red to Blue on a Whim.

Xystichromis Sp. Blue Fin mix will a lot of other Victorians and fish from the other lakes. Exception Paralabidochromis Sauvagei Blue Rock Kribensis which looks very similar to this fish. I am trying to get Sp. Blue fins; but, they are very hard to find.

Xystichromis Sp. Flameback mix well with other Victorians and fish from the other two lakes. Patience is needed, however, to get this fish to show full color. In order to show their true color they need to become comfortable with their tank surroundings and tank mates. This can take some time. In addition, they rarely color under 3" in size.

I strongly suggest, do not overlook these fish. Many are endangered and it is up to the hobbyist to keep them available for generations to come.

More information on these fish and many of them are available for sale on my web site.