• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Skittish Fish

zcfish

Members
I collected some bigger pieces of driftwood and the driftwood almost reaches the top of the tank. I also have floating pieces on the surface. I notice the fish are more skittish than before, especially the Uarus. They still come out when they're hungry but after feeding they just kind of hide when there are people present. Do you notice this in your tank and is there anything I can do to make them feel more secure?

The big piece is held down by rocks. I plan to add more driftwood on the bottom once the floating pieces sink.

You can see my q tank with Columbian tetras behind the tank.

PC314993.JPG

PC314989.JPG

Last edited:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Keep going

Throw a couple handfuls of oak leaves in there and I bet the fish will like it almost as much as you.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A group of larger tetras and/or some floating plants will help.

I know they're not South American, but a dozen Congo tetras would be great.

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
As long as they're clean and dry

any oak leaves will do ???

They will. Or maple. Or hickory. Wood and leaves from those three genus have been well-tested, but most other hardwood species will work as well.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I buy Indian Almond leaves from Rachel... but harvesting the local ones will work as well.

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Leaf me alone

I may have a source for magnolias - will bring you a bagful if it proves up.

fischfan13

Banned
I collected some bigger pieces of driftwood and the driftwood almost reaches the top of the tank. I also have floating pieces on the surface. I notice the fish are more skittish than before, especially the Uarus. They still come out when they're hungry but after feeding they just kind of hide when there are people present. Do you notice this in your tank and is there anything I can do to make them feel more secure?

The big piece is held down by rocks. I plan to add more driftwood on the bottom once the floating pieces sink.

You can see my q tank with Columbian tetras behind the tank.

PC314993.JPG

PC314989.JPG

Joe, you only have fantastic setups!

zcfish

Members
Thanks Bill. I took a walk by the reservoir and couldn't pass up these wood. I have more waiting to go into the tank when the floating ones sink. I think they eventually will and I have the patient :) After adding these wood they've been skittish. Maybe it just takes time and some columbian tetras!

These Uarus eat everything except the anubias. They eat some driftwood too. So floating plants are out of question. Maybe some plastic ones.

I have used leaves from my backyard and love it. Problem is the leaves only last 2 to 3 weeks before completely disintegrate. Is there a special kind of leaves that last longer?

JLW

CCA Members
First off, that is one beautiful tank!

Secondly, on oak leaves, yes, any would do, but you want to collect them from a good source. Don't just pick them up off the ground; you might pull in pesticides or other noxious chemicals. I'd recommend collecting them from as far from urban as you can get.