• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Schooling fish that can be kept with a jack dempsey

What are some good schooling fish that will be ok with a jack dempsey? I was told my congo tetras won't work so im going to move them out so what would e a good replacement colorful schooling fish?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JLW

CCA Members
Dempseys get a bad rap; they're really not THAT mean, unless they're breeding. Anything that won't fit in their mouth would generally be okay, provided they're not constantly in the JD's way. I think Congos would be fine, honestly. Giant danios, silver dollars, large rainbowfish, bigger barbs (Filament, Rohan, Aurulius, etc.) or any number of others would work.

What would also be REALLY cool would be a shoal of Pictus Cats. They're worthless fish if you try to keep 2-3 of them. They hide, beat the snot out of each other, and eat everything they can. BUT, if you put ... 6-8 of them in there, they leave each other alone, school, and are constantly moving. :-D

dogofwar

CCA Members
4' 120g?

Remember that JDs get 8-10"...and are pretty aggressive when they spawn.

I'd go with some medium-sized barbs - Filementosum or the like (bigger than Tiger barbs and smaller than tinfoils).

Giant danios will work too.

I'd stay away from Congo Tetras, unless you don't care that they'll be eaten or mauled, which they eventually will.

Matt