• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Fish Apartment

Yeah no problem. If you want you can break a piece of of my philodedron and have that but it should be avalable at any nursery. I will be at the meeting Saturday u just got to remind me to bring it or I will forget.

I love naruto too. I know the Manga is finnished but the show is still coming out every Thursday. I'm on the filler episodes when lady tsunade is reading the book that Pervy sage (I can't remember his name at the moment so many names in that show) wrote. When the filler episode span ends it will be back to naruto and sauske fighting madara sage of 6 paths.

Termato

Board of Directors
Yeah no problem. If you want you can break a piece of of my philodedron and have that but it should be avalable at any nursery. I will be at the meeting Saturday u just got to remind me to bring it or I will forget.

I love naruto too. I know the Manga is finnished but the show is still coming out every Thursday. I'm on the filler episodes when lady tsunade is reading the book that Pervy sage (I can't remember his name at the moment so many names in that show) wrote. When the filler episode span ends it will be back to naruto and sauske fighting madara sage of 6 paths.

Oooooh are you watching it dubbed? I finished watching it all on subbed. I prefer the subbed version because they make some of the characters seem more bad ***.

I have a little update on my tanks, too! :)

First, the new shrimp bowl I made it going pretty well. I added another 4 RCS' in there and I removed a giant stem of wisteria which was just bulking it up. That light is only so we can see it at night when we are next to the bowl. Don't really use it but turned it on the for the picture.
2016-02-11.jpg

Next to this bowl is the 75G Amazon Angel tank. I've removed a considerably amount of floaters. Somewhere close to 75% and it looks a lot better. I am consistently removing it every day now to keep it well lit. Eventually I'm just going to raise the light and get rid of the floaters. The swords and crypts are growing but this blyxa I put in up front is taking off like a get plane. I did a huge trimming on all of the stem plants and replanted them. Hopefully in about a month it'll all be grown in.
2016-02-11.jpg

Here are some of my not camera shy at all angels. They are so full...but act so hungry!
2016-02-11.jpg

The 75G out in the livingroom changed a lot because I took a light off of the tank. I completely removed the T5 light I had and now I am only running a 48" LED Full Spectrum light with no floaters! plants seem to love it so far so I'm not wrong in that. I trimmed this tank so aggressively that you can barely see the stem plants behind the rocks. Again, in about a month I'm really hoping this grows in nicely. Oh, I also got the tiger barbs I have been waiting for! I had about 7 die in QT but these 8 little guys made it through and are loving it in the tank. They had some kind of internal parasite I treated for. Saved as many as I could.
2016-02-11.jpg

Here is a zoom in of the clipped plants that you can't see hahah
2016-02-11.jpg

The 150G Discus Amazon tank is starting to settle in a little bit after a long time. The plants are finally starting to really grow in and I've also added more plants to the tank. I'll keep adding as the ones in my other tanks keep growing.

I removed some of the hiding areas because I wanted my discus to be out more. They have been active a lot better since I've done that. I did see a huge dispute after removing this giant piece of wood though. It wasn't pretty. I had to remove one of them because he was injured from being bullied.

I also removed about 60% of the floaters in this tank and it's going nuts! I had to raise the right end of the back light because that wood was there and I was just getting algae. This weekend I'm going to trim some of the fast growing stems to place back in that right area. I really need to properly set up all my lights with proper placements.
2016-02-11.jpg

I took a bad picture of the alpha discus in the tank. He's big, bright and owns the left side of the tank. Excuse the giant snail explosion :(
2016-02-11.jpg

I don't think I've shown you guys this tank yet because I set it up later. My girlfriend and I bought it at the end of the dollar per gallon sale. 40G Breeder Tank. Then, we got 4 mated pairs of German Blue Rams and they are QTing in the 40G. The plant is to place 2 in a divided 20GL to breed. Place the other two pairs in the discus tank...or in the angel tank..or both? I don't know. Or start a new tank!? I do have a 29G I could breed those 2 pairs in...see I don't know. I don't need more tanks but you know I'll end up setting up another one hahah. They have divided themselves among the tank pretty well, and I've tried adjusting and adding some territory markers where I see needed so they isn't as much dispute. It's helped and they are settling in nicely.
2016-02-11.jpg

2016-02-11.jpg

2016-02-11.jpg

And last but not least we have my work tank. I have also not posted a picture of this one. It's a 29G Amazon Tank that's at the office. It's not at home :( I've had some issues with it over the weekend because of that, unfortunately. I try to go in when I can but sometimes it's just not possible, especially on 3 day weekends. This was before I trimmed it:
2016-02-11.jpg

Last edited:
Oooooh are you watching it dubbed? I finished watching it all on subbed. I prefer the subbed version because they make some of the characters seem more bad ***.

No i watch it subbed. Its deff way more bad *** that way. The voices just sound too rediculous dubbed.

Tanks look awsome! I want to see how fast those plants grow back.

Id like to get a piece of floater plant from you for a pleco tank I'm planning to set up soon!

Termato

Board of Directors
No i watch it subbed. Its deff way more bad *** that way. The voices just sound too rediculous dubbed.

Tanks look awsome! I want to see how fast those plants grow back.

Id like to get a piece of floater plant from you for a pleco tank I'm planning to set up soon!

Will you be at the meeting on Saturday? If so, I can bring as much as you want. Seriously.

If not, I can ship it to you if you just pay the shipping cost which is like $7.

Will you be at the meeting on Saturday? If so, I can bring as much as you want. Seriously.

If not, I can ship it to you if you just pay the shipping cost which is like $7.

Yea i will be at the meeting sat, it will be my first meeting. I guess i will take a hand full, should be plenty to get me started. Question: can i put it in a bowl of water and change the water daily untill i get my tank set up?

Termato

Board of Directors
Yea i will be at the meeting sat, it will be my first meeting. I guess i will take a hand full, should be plenty to get me started. Question: can i put it in a bowl of water and change the water daily untill i get my tank set up?

It will be my first meeting, too!

You can definitely do that, but you don't have to change the water every day unless you have fish in there. You could do it maybe once a week (if at all, honestly topping it off if no fish are in there will be more than enough) or just add a little bit of fish food in there 2-3 times a week (like 2-3 flakes). If you can add like a few drops of fertz every once or twice a week, that's better than everything else. That'd be enough to feed the plant until a weekly water change to replenish nutrients, I'd think. This stuff readily takes in nitrogen and grows SUPER under high light. It still grows under lower light, but just not as fast.

If you have fish in there, then yea daily water changes.

Btw, I have the following kinds:
  • Giant Duckweeed
  • Dwarf Water Lettuce
  • Giant Duckweed (salvania)

I'll bring all three (and most likely extra if anyone wants it because it goes in the trash anyways).

Rams are looking good and discus is getting brighter... love it.

Thanks,

Dhaval

Thanks! The rams settled right in. Didn't take any time. I was thinking about bringing a lone female from the 29G work tank in to go with the 4 breeding pairs. I was thinking maybe she'd mate up with one of those pairs and it'd be a trio? The remaining discus are the healthy ones. All of the weak ones unfortunately died off. I'm never going to buy fish from non-hobbyist again. Just not worth it.

I have a Apisto Agazzi in a 20GL QT right now I was going to take in to the work 29G in replacement of the Ram. :)

Last edited:
It will be my first meeting, too!

You can definitely do that, but you don't have to change the water every day unless you have fish in there. You could do it maybe once a week (if at all, honestly topping it off if no fish are in there will be more than enough) or just add a little bit of fish food in there 2-3 times a week (like 2-3 flakes). If you can add like a few drops of fertz every once or twice a week, that's better than everything else. That'd be enough to feed the plant until a weekly water change to replenish nutrients, I'd think. This stuff readily takes in nitrogen and grows SUPER under high light. It still grows under lower light, but just not as fast.

If you have fish in there, then yea daily water changes.

Btw, I have the following kinds:
  • Giant Duckweeed
  • Dwarf Water Lettuce
  • Giant Duckweed (salvania)

I'll bring all three (and most likely extra if anyone wants it because it goes in the trash anyways).

Thanks! The rams settled right in. Didn't take any time. I was thinking about bringing a lone female from the 29G work tank in to go with the 4 breeding pairs. I was thinking maybe she'd mate up with one of those pairs and it'd be a trio? The remaining discus are the healthy ones. All of the weak ones unfortunately died off. I'm never going to buy fish from non-hobbyist again. Just not worth it.

I have a Apisto Agazzi in a 20GL QT right now I was going to take in to the work 29G in replacement of the Ram. :)

Sweet! I think those will do really well in a shallow Pleco tank. I can have the light on, still have shade for the Pleco's, and a little more privacy. So excited, i can see what it looks like in my head already!!!

FishEggs

Great! look forward to meeting you. Don't worry too much about separating it out if they are all mixed together.

Termato

Board of Directors
I had a lot of fun and got some great stuff at this months meeting. It was great getting to actually meet some of you, too.

After I got home, I introduced the shrimp I got into the shrimp bowl. It was 6 yellow shrimp and I put them in with the 8 red cherry shrimp. This 2.5 gallon bowl now has a total of 14 shrimp.
2016-02-15.jpg

The crypts I got from the auction, which Bob gave me some great instructions on how to plant, mostly went into the 75G Iwagumi. I put one of the plants into the 75G angel tank, though.

2016-02-15.jpg

I also took 2 pairs of rams from the QT and put them into community tanks. One pair went into the Amazon Angel and one into the Amazon Discus tank. They are doing much better and have settled in quite nicely. Here is one pair of them:
2016-02-15.jpg

Right before the meeting, I was at the glass shop making a new fish bowl. This thing is monstrous. I'll be bringing it to the BFD with the other ones I made if anyone is interested.
Here is a picture of me making it. I make a lot of faces...hahah
2016-02-15.jpg

2016-02-15.jpg

But I made this bigger vase bowl. It's huge. I put it next to the smaller one I have with the shrimp and a pint glass for size. It's huge. I think it's about 3.5-4 gallon? I haven't measured yet.
2016-02-15.jpg

As of way of celebrating the apartment not getting flooded and the storm outside. I'm going to be giving my 20G Long tank (which I've never scaped and have wanted to forever) to my girlfriend. Her tank has been getting overpopulated so it's time for an upgrade. I'm sad but happy. I'll just get another tank like a 12.5G Long or 33 Long rimless or something. I want a nice scape. Anyways, this is the project for today. Project #1 at least. Then, it's scaping the 40G Breeder for the cichlids. We still have to clean the tank, etc.
2016-02-15.jpg

Last edited:

Termato

Board of Directors
blowing glass looks awesome. that must take a lot of practice!

I've been doing it for about 8 years now. It does take a lot of practice. It's mostly getting your hands using to not stopping because when you stop the piece goes off center. Once you get that down the rest is just concentrating and being patient, like with many great things in life. I currently go to Glen Echo Glassworks owned by Paul Swartwood. He was the first glass artist to graduate with a glass major from Salisbury University. He eventually bought the shop and I've been renting time there for a few years now.

My girlfriend, Christine, surprised me with an awesome gift on valentines day:
2016-02-15.jpg

I'm quite happy about it. Loaded with information. Honestly, my girlfriend keeps more nano species than I do hahaha but the wealth of knowledge in this book is tremendous and I've barely read it. Btw, this is a really well structured book and well constructed.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
It's a great book! And one of the authors is our very own Rachel O'Leary. Did you meet her at the meeting on Saturday?

FishEggs

I've always been fascinated by and wanted to try glass blowing, but always already too many irons in the fire. Some nice pieces there.
Awesome Valentines day gift.
tanks are looking great.
just a note. i'm pretty sure the yellow shrimp and cherry red shrimp are both Neocardina and will cross breed giving you dull brown colored offspring.

Termato

Board of Directors
I've always been fascinated by and wanted to try glass blowing, but always already too many irons in the fire. Some nice pieces there.
Awesome Valentines day gift.
tanks are looking great.
just a note. i'm pretty sure the yellow shrimp and cherry red shrimp are both Neocardina and will cross breed giving you dull brown colored offspring.

Thanks everyone! If anyone is interested, Paul does teach classes at the studio. Oooo I did not know that. Good warning. I'll have to re-think that strategy.

Here are some more shots of the glass. This is a different part of the process where I'm having my friend add air while I control how it expands.

2016-02-15.jpg

2016-02-15.jpg

Tonight we got a lot of work done. I was able to separate out the two pairs of rams I had together temporarily in a 10 gallon into their own 10 gallon tanks. I'm now going to be attempting to breed these two pairs of rams in these 10 gallon tanks. I'm running them at about 84F. I am slightly concerned that the 10G is WAY too small to try and breed these rams in though.

2016-02-15.jpg

I helped Christine set up her 20G Long tank as well. In time, more plants will be added but you can see the start to something great. She did a good job. Now, the tanks are still a little cloudy and the isn't permanent because it will need more lighting. This is just a sneak peak shot of what it currently looks like:
2016-02-15.jpg

I set up this 40G breeder for the pair of rainbow cichlids I picked up at the last meeting. I'll be using this tank to try and breed to C.A.R.E.S. fish later on. I decided to go with Cryptoheros nanoluteus as they are smaller and are perfect for the water I currently have. I'll be able to handle their reproduction easier with their smaller size. Also cloudy but clearing up fast.
2016-02-15.jpg

Last edited:

Termato

Board of Directors
Today was light project day. I was tired of having the lights so low to the tank and weird stuff holding them up. I thought up of a more permanent solution (although at first it's unsightly but it will look much better once I cover it up) of using PVC pipes to hold the lights up. I used hot glue to fix them into place. Check it out:
2016-02-21.jpg

2016-02-21.jpg

And to the other permanent show tank (the discus tank):
2016-02-21.jpg

2016-02-21.jpg

The discus were all hiding in this picture because I had just removed all of the floaters so I scooped them with a net. They went behind the rocks. The room were in is now super bright and we don't need to turn on lights anymore. Double win! I'm going to either paint the PVC black or wrap it. I'll figure it out later. It's all holding into place nicely though.

Feeding time!