• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Snails racing to surface

Came home to walk the dog and feed the fish. 10 mins after feeding my 10 gallon tetra, gourami, snail, plant tank i noticed this.

All the snails racing to the surface. I've seen pics before of snails all over the glass but it's a fitrs for my tank. I think it looks cool

20160211_151453.jpg

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Cool tank.

But snails staying near the surface of the water can be a warning sign that there is not enough oxygen for them to stay where they normally would. Check you filter and be sure the flow is as it should be. Also the temperature. Snails seem to be more sensitive than fish to the first signs of low oxygen.

Hope all is OK.

Ok thx for the tip. I will check it when I get home. I just did a 50% water change yesterday. It might be that the temp is dropping it's right by the window and it's very cold out today.

So when I got home I did not notice anything out of the ordinay. But i cleaned out the filter sponge and added a bubbler just to be sure. I'll check it again tomorrow

20160211_190524.jpg

lkelly

Members
I was hoping for some snail racing video. Preferably in slow motion so we don't miss anything.

JLW

CCA Members
In this case, I don't think it is snails racing up for low oxygen. Those are Malaysian Trumpet Snails, and they're emerging from the gravel and moving upward simply because they smell the food. I have a friend who refers to them as "Zombie Snails," though they're nowhere near as bad as Nassarius snails. Anyhow....
Malaysian Trumpets are a pest snail that live mostly buried in your gravel or other substrate. They're detrivores, and don't really eat much algae (though they do eat some). When they smell the food in the water, they come out and start looking for it, though they're usually most active at night. I bet if you came down at 3-AM and turned on the lights, you'd be surprised at how many snails are in there -- you're only seeing SOME of them appear. I've seen tanks where the gravel is more snail than gravel....

You may want to reduce their numbers. The first step is to cut back on the food the snails are getting. I don't know you, and I don't know your tank, so I could be wrong, but I would suspect that the tank is getting too much food. The excess food is sinking into the gravel and turning into snail food.

Eliminating the food will help prevent the problem from going away, but it won't ever have a real effect on their population alone. You could try fish to eat the snails -- puffers and Botia type loaches work. You'll have to tell us more about the tank to get an idea of which, if any, species are appropriate. It looks like a pretty small tank, so it may very well be that none are. The better solution would be to put a trap in the tank. Take a small plastic deli container and sink it into the gravel so that the top is roughly level with the top of the gravel. Grab a small rock, and rubber band a piece of celery to it. Just after you turn the lights off, drop it into the container. In the morning, you'll have yourself a few snails! You can also use an algae wafer, some sinking pellets, or anything else that will attract the snails. A soda bottle works really well, too. Put some rocks into it to keep it on the side, and put the mouth level with the gravel. However, if you have cory cats or similar fish, they tend to get trapped, and they're a pain to get out. Keep doing it, and you'll get most of the snails.

In an aquarium, the Malaysian Snails don't really harm too much. They can add a bit to your bio load, but if you're managing their numbers, its no big deal. They may get into filters, pumps, etc and foul the impellers, causing damage. The bigger concern is what happens when they get down the drain. These snails are a major vector of disease in fishes, and a few that can infect humans, and can become massively invasive in wild systems. They can also become a HUGE problem in a sewage treatment plant; they'll destroy their filters and pumps! Man, you think shelling out (I swear that wasn't on purpose) for a new Fluval is expensive, try the filters the treatment plant is using! :)

Termato

Board of Directors
Eliminating the food will help prevent the problem from going away, but it won't ever have a real effect on their population alone. You could try fish to eat the snails -- puffers and Botia type loaches work. You'll have to tell us more about the tank to get an idea of which, if any, species are appropriate. It looks like a pretty small tank, so it may very well be that none are. The better solution would be to put a trap in the tank. Take a small plastic deli container and sink it into the gravel so that the top is roughly level with the top of the gravel. Grab a small rock, and rubber band a piece of celery to it. Just after you turn the lights off, drop it into the container. In the morning, you'll have yourself a few snails! You can also use an algae wafer, some sinking pellets, or anything else that will attract the snails. A soda bottle works really well, too. Put some rocks into it to keep it on the side, and put the mouth level with the gravel. However, if you have cory cats or similar fish, they tend to get trapped, and they're a pain to get out. Keep doing it, and you'll get most of the snails.

In an aquarium, the Malaysian Snails don't really harm too much. They can add a bit to your bio load, but if you're managing their numbers, its no big deal. They may get into filters, pumps, etc and foul the impellers, causing damage. The bigger concern is what happens when they get down the drain. These snails are a major vector of disease in fishes, and a few that can infect humans, and can become massively invasive in wild systems. They can also become a HUGE problem in a sewage treatment plant; they'll destroy their filters and pumps! Man, you think shelling out (I swear that wasn't on purpose) for a new Fluval is expensive, try the filters the treatment plant is using! :)

I wish this site had a like buttons. Great information! I have a few tanks with some snails problems. Actually, all but my angel and loach tanks because they eat the snails. My 29G at work has started breeding assassin snails. We never throw them away or put them down the drain. Instead, we try to give them to fellow hobbyist who have fish who eat these as food (like puffers who aren't trained in pellets) or if we have to, euthanize them as humanely as possible. I have never heard of that trick to get snails out. Can't thank you enough for that.

In this case, I don't think it is snails racing up for low oxygen. Those are Malaysian Trumpet Snails, and they're emerging from the gravel and moving upward simply because they smell the food. I have a friend who refers to them as "Zombie Snails," though they're nowhere near as bad as Nassarius snails. Anyhow....
Malaysian Trumpets are a pest snail that live mostly buried in your gravel or other substrate. They're detrivores, and don't really eat much algae (though they do eat some). When they smell the food in the water, they come out and start looking for it, though they're usually most active at night. I bet if you came down at 3-AM and turned on the lights, you'd be surprised at how many snails are in there -- you're only seeing SOME of them appear. I've seen tanks where the gravel is more snail than gravel....

You may want to reduce their numbers. The first step is to cut back on the food the snails are getting. I don't know you, and I don't know your tank, so I could be wrong, but I would suspect that the tank is getting too much food. The excess food is sinking into the gravel and turning into snail food.

Thanks thats some awesome advice with the trap, ill have to try that to catch them. i got the snails to feed my loaches, they really have started to multiply like crazy. When i set this tank up and added the snails i over fed on purpose and did less gravel vacs to try and get the snails to multiply. now that they are thriving i have been taking more care to clean the gravel and reduce feeding.

sometimes i throw some snails in my 75g and the loaches sniff them at ones. same with the geos. the snails never make it.

I wish this site had a like buttons. Great information! I have a few tanks with some snails problems. Actually, all but my angel and loach tanks because they eat the snails. My 29G at work has started breeding assassin snails. We never throw them away or put them down the drain. Instead, we try to give them to fellow hobbyist who have fish who eat these as food (like puffers who aren't trained in pellets) or if we have to, euthanize them as humanely as possible. I have never heard of that trick to get snails out. Can't thank you enough for that.

ive gone and looked for the like button thinking it would be there many times haha

chriscoli

Administrator
MTS also seem to have quite a strong circadian rhythm.....I can tell that the timer is going to shut off the tanks lights about 15 or 20 min before it really does because the slow march of the snails up out of the sand begins.

But seriously, whenever I see them at the top during the day, I stop whatever I'm doing to investigate the tank and find out what's going on.

MTS also seem to have quite a strong circadian rhythm.....I can tell that the timer is going to shut off the tanks lights about 15 or 20 min before it really does because the slow march of the snails up out of the sand begins.

But seriously, whenever I see them at the top during the day, I stop whatever I'm doing to investigate the tank and find out what's going on.
can you use just a standard cut off timer on a power strip for lights? I'd like yo do a ramp timer but I don't think my set up would alow it

They always seem to head out of the sand during water changes in my tank. I think the cooler water is the cause...or when the feedings are heavy

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

It's hard not to over feed the 10 gallon with only a few guys in there. And the hob flow always pushes the flakes to thr bottom

I like to use an outdoor heavy-duty timer with a power strip. The heavy duty ones allow for a grounded connection. Here's my favorite right now:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-...ther-Outdoor-Mechanical-Timer-49813/203687958

Cool I'll have to check that timer out. I have an led but it's a base mod. I have to cycle thru the settings in a circle to get back to the right setting if I miss it. Its not very practical but for the money it's a good quality led. With that timer I won't ever have to touch it. Not as good as a ramp but still an upgrade!

Shut down my snail tank today. The snails were out of control. Set up a new 10g with sand, a rock, and one plant. Its bare but no more snails. Moved the fish to the new tank.

Gold gourami, neon tetra school, 3 baby Bn plecos.

i think after i finish cleaning out and murdering all the snails my old 10g will be my QT tank. I've never qt'd b4 and think its the right thing to start doing.